Duncan closed

boricuareefer

Newbie here. I have a duncan that has been closed for the past week and a half and the body has turned from it's original brown color to almost complete green (see pic). Anyways I was wondering it this is something I should be concerned about and if anybody has any suggestions.

Here are my water parameters as of today

Nitrates 0

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Calcium 450

PO .09

Alk 8.2

Salinity 1.025

PH 8.2

post-2870-0-30975300-1383256615_thumb.jp

Not good. Looks like it's on it's way out IMO. Once you start getting algae covering the entire skeletal structure like that, i've never had luck bringing them back. Nothing about your params look off, but then again its usually swings in parameter that do the damage. How is the temp in the tank. Other inhabitants doing ok? I'd try scrubbing off the algae with a toothbrush and move it to a more shaded area.

It could still come back. I would try first turkey buster to clean/blow the algae off. Tooth brush may be the last resort if the buster doesn't work. Also I would place this coral somwhere where there is a more flow.

LPS vcan be a fickle creature sometimes, and for no apparent reason just crash. And Duncans are quite sensitive to lots of things like all stonys. But they especially don't like SG changes that some other LPS will tolerate. Your PO4 is a little high @ 0.09 ppm, I'd try to get that down a bit although for LPS it really shouldn't matter. It may be a problem for more sensitive SPS though. It does look pretty far gone but you never know. sad.png

For what its worth my duncan started to die off and then boom after repositioning it to another spot it started to grow back. Now it is back and better than ever!!!

Thanks for giving me a little hope. So, I ended up brushing the algae off and repositioning it. Lets see if I have the same luck as you.