Too much light for a cap?

Wade

How would I know if my new cap is getting too much light? It doesn't appear to be bleaching, but I don't know if caps typically bleach out. I do see some very small areas that seem bare where it was green before, but otherwise it looks fine. You can tell by the picture when it's positioned in the tank and the light is a Reefbreeders Photon 48" that maxes out at 60% white and 55% blue. Thoughts?

post-1837-0-14592100-1382131057_thumb.jp

In my experience, if it's going to bleach, it bleaches in totality. You don't get blotchy bleach spots (lul). When I upgraded my LEDs, i definitely washed out some of my caps. The overall color faded by probably 90% from an intense green to almost a pastel green. Still hasn't returned, and it's been 4 months.

if you have them under LED's they need to be shaded. Even though PAR may be similar to the halide/t5's, they have much higher radiosity, and lumens in a tiny point light source. So one LED at 100% is more 'blinding' than a single t5 HO of the same spectrum. In short, you either need to raise your LED's, or shade your caps. I have some green caps I picked up from Ty, and I have to keep them out of the line of fire from my LED's.

• Like 1

Yes, Montipora capricornis can bleach just like any other coral. I have seen partial bleaching but it's going to be where a coral get's more intense lighting. Areas of a colony that are perpendicular to a new light source will get more light than surfaces that are at an oblique angle and can loose color while the areas at an oblique angle retain their color. If this is what's happened the silver lining is the color loss is mostly because of intensity and much less because of spectrum. As pointed out above you can manipulate intensity by moving or shading your lights. Remember it can take weeks or months or like Victoly pointed out may not ever regain it's original colors.

That looks more like detritus or sand had settled on spots long enough to choke the tissue. For partial bleaching I would expect larger areas more like a band in an area that was perpendicular to the light.

I second this. Some detritus settled on it and it killed a small part of it. Happens all the time to me