200+ animal deaths at Portland Aquarium

etannert

I was there this morning for an event. I talked to one of the Corvinos and a couple of the guys that are running the construction show. They actually seem to know a lot about the permitting process and what has been going on with the city and of course have their own version. According to them they had a big meeting with several different inspectors yesterday and the inspectors went through with a fine toothed comb and were forced to admit that there were no current violations. They are halted at the moment on inside construction as they wait for a new permit to be issued. Apparently they are ahead of schedule or something like that. The new permit is supposed to be there on Monday and they are waiting on it.

While he didn't put it this way the AA rep indicated that due to all of the issues their opening date will not be in Nov. but instead they are planning on Dec. 1.

I got a look at the inside and you can't see very much and it is hard to tell what it will finally look like but it is going to be massive. There will be a large number of tanks with none exceeding 5000 gallons. Apparently there are rules about how big a tank can be before you need special permits etc and they are staying under that number to avoid further permitting problems.

They seemed very nice and eager to share. I have no idea if they suck as much as some people think or not, but the facility looks like it is going to be of a high caliber and will be a boon to the area. Between creating jobs and bringing in traffic for itself and other businesses North Austin needs something like this, assuming they aren't destroying animals for fun and fiddling as Rome burns.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've looked over that a few times. Looks similar to what my death log at the school would be if I kept one. Lots of unknowns. Like 10 were supposedly starved to death? I honestly don't think that looks bad at all. Looks like most died in QT.. Which is understandable from my point of view. Besides.. For all anyone knows, that particular .PDF could be altered or anything else. Could be something that someone just threw together to be honest with you :/ not saying it is.. Just saying what is possible :) I've had more fish die under my care than that. And most was from my own stupidity. Yet I'm not someone you'd say terrible thing about (I hope) lol. Either way.. I'm glad people are taking the time to research things rather than only talking with no knowledge. I hope to go back to the aquarium around Nov. 1st to speak with Vince again about getting a job.

You may of had more fish die and I don't question that but I'm sure one shark is worth more than everything you've killed. Posting the log though goes against his statement of feeder fish and snails and this is an 8% mortality rate in a 3 month period.

On Tuesday afternoon, aquarium manager Vince Covino wrote KATU an email that said, "The death log submitted appears to be fabricated, or to be skewed by such deaths as dozens of snails, baby feeder fish, and others. ..."

I see a bamboo shark and a couple of rays. Everything else appears to be the type of thing that a home aquarium might have. Lot's of seahorses and damsels.

i don't know much about seahorses other than that they are hard to keep and that I am not up to it. From what I've heard that kind of death rate is very possible and could be normal, but I'll defer to the wisdom of others.

Most of the damsels appear to be acclimation stress or similar. Could they have been using damsels to cycle tanks? That would explain why so many didn't make it.

I understand that many people frown on this practice but it is pretty common. Assuming that is what they did, and that's a big assumption then those fish should be removed from consideration. Personally I think cycling with fish is cruel and unnecessary but it has been the way things are done for a long time.

People keep going on about this death log like it is some great smoking gun proving gross misconduct and I just don't see it. Hell, one of those fish died of "depression" Really? Did the one that jumped out over night die of suicide?

There's a whole lot of "there but for the grace of (insert deity or personal belief system) go I" on that list. Fish refuse to eat. Accidents happen (how many of your tanks would survive a power outage for 12-15 hours?

Yes this needs to be looked into but please let the witch hunt end.

I tend to agree with the above post about a witch hunt. I see a trend in which the court of public opinion ruins people with one sided discourses about the evils of the culprit. All to often, a vocal minority can totally misrepresent the truth. I have no connection with the proposed Austin Aquarium.

I say, give peace a chance.

Patrick

My tanks will survive power outages because I invested money properly into bubble boxes and generators. A business as large as there should easily have an auto flip generator to prevent these things.

Fish used for cycling is stupid in this day and age. To kill those fish and then say "remove them from consideration because they died to old outdated techniques is a bad outlook.

It is not a witch hunt. Its pointing out multiple errors on their end that they refuse to address and try to hide.

I also went to the event yesterday morning and spoke to Vince and Mark. I had overheard some other conversations as well.. I want to make it clear that I am going to remain neutral on this issue for the sake of the club and for personal networking reasons. I do think that the news is blowing it out of proportion though.

Is the present Austin Aquarium without power back up to critical systems?

Patrick

I don't know but the sister aquarium apparently kills fish when power dies.

When did the power outage kill fish? Has any upgrades been installed to address the problem?

No insurance underwriter would cover them without emergency back up systems.

Patrick

Why are we making a big deal about a power outrage killing fish? Don't we all know this happens? It's part of the hobby, if you have that many tanks and loose power it's obvious fish will die...

Obviously. Preventable with back up power if you value your livestock.

"Fish used for cycling is stupid in this day and age. To kill those fish and then say "remove them from consideration because they died to old outdated techniques is a bad outlook."

I'm not afraid to say I cycle all of my tanks with fish. Guess that makes me a stupid, bad person. It's their choice to do what they want to do. Nobody has a right to judge someone else based on their technique that they decide to use. I had to cull off about 25 Convict Cichlids. At the high school. With none of the reccomended ways to do it. I wont say how I did it.. But it wasn't pretty or fun. I must also be a bad person for that. I tried selling them. Heck, I tried giving them away. Had no choice.

People should have the right to do what they believe is proper, without being judged for it.

Why are we making a big deal about a power outrage killing fish? Don't we all know this happens? It's part of the hobby, if you have that many tanks and loose power it's obvious fish will die...

Usually cheaper to replace fish than buy a generator that can power an entire aquarium

Usually cheaper to replace fish than buy a generator that can power an entire aquarium

One fish,yes. But we are talking a Genny vs replacing multiple lives.

"Fish used for cycling is stupid in this day and age. To kill those fish and then say "remove them from consideration because they died to old outdated techniques is a bad outlook."

I'm not afraid to say I cycle all of my tanks with fish. Guess that makes me a stupid, bad person. It's their choice to do what they want to do. Nobody has a right to judge someone else based on their technique that they decide to use. I had to cull off about 25 Convict Cichlids. At the high school. With none of the reccomended ways to do it. I wont say how I did it.. But it wasn't pretty or fun. I must also be a bad person for that. I tried selling them. Heck, I tried giving them away. Had no choice.

People should have the right to do what they believe is proper, without being judged for it. 

Just no reason to put a fish through unneeded stress if other known techniques exist.

If a fish is going to be in one of my tanks, it's going to need to toughen up. I have issues with students throwing trash in my tanks, nails, chemicals. Its pretty ridiculous what those kids will put in my tanks when I'm not there to threaten them :3

I've done a fishless cycle here and there, but never felt like it was what I wanted to do. If that makes any sense. People just need to understand that it's whomever's life, and whomever's fish. They can do whatever they please with them. If they subject the fish to cycling, then so be it. If the fish survive.. AWESOME! I've had a grand total of 5 fish die from cycling.. way in the beginning of my fishkeeping days. Since then.. no deaths from cycling. Poor stock choice.. yes. Kids messing with them.. Yes. Getting eaten alive by crayfish.. Yes. Hence why I said the death log seems similar to what I would write up over at the school. Lots of unknowns.. dissapearances.. and bodies being found.

It's a lifestyle choice I guess. :)

For all of you taking the high road and judging someone's else's intent be very careful. There are many people that think keeping fish and coral in confinement is unethical. When your right to keep a reef tank is restricted because others view this as immoral and unethical, you should realize that you are making judgements of intent.

Unless you all can walk on water, please leave judgement to the Judge.

Patrick

I bet if these were puppy's you and the public would have a different attitude.

*Puppies ;)

And the same abuse happens to dogs, and cats, on an even greater level. Yet.. Its not the same cause dogs and cats aren't used to cycle in their new homes lol

Archived