Auto Top Off Designs For Sumpless Tanks

JamesL

Anyone have any pictures of auto top offs for tanks without sumps? Ever since converting my 75g to open top, I have been having to add water every other day (even with LEDs).

The tank has a HOB Fuge.

Also interested in a smaller scale for my 24g... it is also open top, but has not been evaporating water as fast (funny, as that has a MH over it).

Any auto top off used in a sump could be used in display as well. However I would choose one that has a pressure switch instead of a float since critters in display could easily affect the ability of the float switch to operate properly. The drawback is lifting the water up to the top of the display. You would need a little more pump than is commonly used to only lift to the top of a sump. I use a small TOM lifter on my ATO. About 3 Gal per hour and it'll lift water up by vacuumm instead of submerging pump. The problem w/ a submersible pump is you have to use an open container IE 5 gal bucket because the opening on water containers is too small to get a pump in.

AVAST offers an ATO with mafnetic mount and pressure switch for under $100

http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/Top-off-Kit

Tunze ATO's are what I use on all of my nanos/picos. On my sumpless frag tank, I use a JBJ ATO in a 10 gallon aquarium with kalk and a tunze pump. Tops off very quickly. Keep in mind the Tunze Nano can only really handle 40 gallon tanks MAX. Even then youre going to be pushing the 12 second limit, which requires opening the unit and removing a jumper to give it a full 30 second pump time. the tunze is about 100bucks, the jbj is about 75, plus pump 30-40. So youre looking about 100 bucks give or take. The cool thing about the tunze is that (as bio stated) fits right into a 5 gallon or 2.5 gallon jug. You can see the tunze nano in my build threads (my 3 gallon picotope, and my 7.5 gallon mr.aqua)

Why would you need a snail guard for the tunze? It's an eye. I have a nem that lives on the tip of the eye and it still functions properly.

That's using the tunze kit. We were jousting using the pump from the kit

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4