Drift Monkey's ADA 60-P

Drift Monkey

Anyone ever use Prodibio BioClean? Looks like interesting stuff. It's not too expensive, so I may give it a try...

sounds to me like you'd be buying (semimonthly) bacteria that are already forming in your tank for free. unless you are chlorinating you tank regularly you should not need to replenish the bacteria. so, i suppose if it is cheaper than dechlorinator....

Anyone ever use Prodibio BioClean? Looks like interesting stuff. It's not too expensive, so I may give it a try...

sounds to me like you'd be buying (semimonthly) bacteria that are already forming in your tank for free. unless you are chlorinating you tank regularly you should not need to replenish the bacteria. so, i suppose if it is cheaper than dechlorinator....

Eh, I'd just be using it to seed bacteria to begin with...not sure I'd keep dosing it unless my parameters suggest I'd need to dose again. Just seems like an interesting concept to me...people have had good results fighting off algae and the like with this stuff.

It may work for seeding it and making it cycle faster. Not sure how much faster, though. Or if it'll arrive before it cycles on its own. That's getting beyond my experience level pretty quick. But you clearly already have the bacteria since you are getting nitrates.

• Like 1

It may work for seeding it and making it cycle faster. Not sure how much faster, though. Or if it'll arrive before it cycles on its own. That's getting beyond my experience level pretty quick. But you clearly already have the bacteria since you are getting nitrates.

Right...I can get it shipped in 2 days easily. Leaving it as-is for another week won't hurt though.

So I was moving the MP10 around yesterday to see if I could go 100% percent without blasting the sand around...and it turns out I mostly can. There were a few spots where the sand became uneven so I stuck my arm in there to level it out. Bad idea. slap.gif I ended up knocking my scape over, but that got me thinking...I should probably make it a bit more stable.

Next thing ya know I'm re-scaping the **** thing. owneddance.gif

Hours later (and lots of cussing)...I came up with this...which I actually like better than the original. wizard.gif

1039556_10151542785616137_2100579016_o.j

I dub this: The Broken Arch. tongue.png

977938_10151542785301137_211776368_o.jpg

Pretty impressed with the camera on my HTC One...it's certainly better than my old iPhone 4S. The angle is super wide too.

1026100_10151542785436137_935110119_o.jp

The new scape from the left.

1025388_10151542785731137_1235037880_o.j

From the right.

It's much more stable this way and I managed to reclaim a little bit of vertical space on the left side with this arrangement as well. Plus, the overhangs just look cool to me.

What do y'all think?

Edited by Drift Monkey

I like it better, too. The one on the left looks like a snake skull in the first picture.

I like it. Very minimal.

Appreciate it fellas. Now it's time for another cycle update...

Day 13:

Ammonia: ~3 ppm

Nitrite: ~2.0+ ppm

Not sure wtf happened here. My ammonia shot back up to about 3 ppm...but the nitrites are steadily climbing...with this API kit, it's hard to tell exactly how high...but it's pretty bright purple. I do wonder if these readings have anything to do with my rescaping endeavors...

A week later...I'm getting some uber thick foam from the skimmer. The microbubbles seem less... but either way there are absolutely none in the display. It actually pulled some skimmate throughout the past week.

1052280_10151550271656137_1402537656_o.j

It might be a tad fuller than it should be because I think it fluctuated and ran high for a bit. It's not that dark or anything, but I'm really just surprised it pulled even that out.

Now I'm trying to figure out how high the foam should be since it is now a completely different consistency. I guess it's wet skimming at the top of the outlet and dry skimming at the bottom of the collection cup...

It's tough to dial in a skimmer because simple letting your hand touch the water anywhere will change the surface tension of the water and cause the foam to drop. I'd dial it in at the beginning of the day, when you haven't touched the water all night, or fed, and get the top of that foam at the bottom of the collection cup. It should fill with dark skimmate about once a week. When you put your hand in the tank and the foam drops, don't turn the skimmer up to compensate, and if you kill your return pump, don't turn the skimmer off too, just remove the collection cup and let it overflow. On/off is bad for skimmers so I have read from manufacturer suggestions AND personally experienced.

• Like 1

That's basically how I've been doing it...the skimmer stays on and barely play with the settings unless it's running too high.

Cycle update -

Day 16-17:

Ammonia: ~1 ppm

Nitrite: ~5.0+ ppm

No change at all. I may have hit a wall here...but I'm just gonna leave it be. I'll do another test tonight and continue to check the parameters everyday until I leave for Vietnam for 2 weeks on Saturday. I just hope it's done doing its thang by the time I return...laugh.png

I do wonder if the high nitrites are stalling the cycle out though...

That's a SCA 301, correct? Might want to keep it a bit lower. You should be able to get it dialed in so it's skimming some mud looking stuff unless you want to skim really wet.

Correct. Well the issue before it that it would fluctuate over time (wet bubbles) and started to wet skim on its own. Now that it's making thicker foam, it seems much easier to set.

The other thing to mention is...there is basically nothing in there to skim besides some slime in the sump. :lol: I don't really expect to see mud stuff until I start stocking.

~50% water change done.

Ammonia: ~.25 ppm

Nitrite: ~2.0 ppm

Levels went down...but not as much as I honestly thought they would. Hopefully this gets my cycle out of a rut. I'll test tomorrow to see if anything changes.

what is your ammonia source? are you getting any nitrates? if your nitrates are going up then the cycle is still progressing, so i'd be testing those every day, too.

i am far from an expert on skimmers (know nothing, really), but would turning that off help? it just seems that if you are pulling your bacerial warriors out of the water it may be working against you. eventually your rock and substrate will house most of your bacteria, but now? and if it is pulling nitrates out of the water it may make it more difficult to track the results. just seems to me that during the cycle you want the water as dirty as possible. but, hopefully someone that knows about skimmers will chime in.

• Like 1

what is your ammonia source? are you getting any nitrates? if your nitrates are going up then the cycle is still progressing, so i'd be testing those every day, too.

i am far from an expert on skimmers (know nothing, really), but would turning that off help? it just seems that if you are pulling your bacerial warriors out of the water it may be working against you. eventually your rock and substrate will house most of your bacteria, but now? and if it is pulling nitrates out of the water it may make it more difficult to track the results. just seems to me that during the cycle you want the water as dirty as possible. but, hopefully someone that knows about skimmers will chime in.

My only source is the pure ammonia I added almost 3 weeks ago. The only other possibility is a bit from the live rock rubble that I thoroughly cleaned. Haven't bothered with the nitrates because I'm expecting the ammonia/nitrites to go away first...namely the ammonia.

From what I've read, it shouldn't matter if you skim during a cycle. Besides I added the ammonia and bacteria quite a while ago and haven't started skimming until last week. Doubt it's pulling any nitrates out of the water.

Day 21:

Ammonia: ~.25 ppm

Nitrite: ~2.0 ppm maybe 5 ppm

Everything seems to be stuck at these levels. dry.png Anyway, this is the last test before I leave for Vietnam for tomorrow. My RO/DI reservoir is topped up and confirmed to be operational! Hopefully this thing will cycle through while I'm gone.

The next posts I'll make will likely involve pictures from Vietnam! cool.png

Edited by Drift Monkey

• 4 weeks later...

So after a week of re-acclimating myself to life in the States (ugh)...I finally was able to meet up with Zack (nanoreefer11) and grab a couple frags from him. Mostly zoas/palys (most of which I have no idea what their names are, but Zack does tongue.png) and a small hammer frag. Thanks again Zack!

1077325_10151599020661137_275657837_o.jp

The hammers seemed no have no issue (as advertised) and are already opening up.

1077264_10151599020806137_114107228_o.jp

The only frag that didn't open for me this morning is the orange zoas...I'm sure they'll come around though.

1078851_10151599020871137_705447735_o.jp

These guys were awake and open before the lights were on, beautiful and resilient!

1078786_10151599020931137_1005866670_o.j

Crappy picture of these zoas, but they opened up just fine this morning.

Everything seems to be happy...so I guess my parameters are decent enough afterall.

• Like 2