Drift Monkey's ADA 60-P

Drift Monkey

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I got my skimmer yesterday...

946687_10151524072356137_971988417_n.jpg

...and it came broken. mad.gif Not only did it ship wrong (USPS instead of FedEx), it took 2 WEEKS to come in! argue.gif

Needless to say I'm getting a full refund, but I have to pay for return shipping out of my own pocket. It's weird because the seller has a high rating...

Anyway, I re-ordered from another seller which I gather is more reptuable. We'll see how it goes...

That's garbage. If you paypaled, you can dispute for a full refund, and I'd even dispute shipping charges.

Especially if they charged more for FedEx and used USPS instead.

I was covered by ebay and paypal either way, so that's nice.

It was free shipping, so I'm not sure how that works...

Oh, I also got my BRS dry rock rubble...overshadowed by my skimmer woes.

980212_10151525063436137_1805762065_o.jp

New pics from my new phone! HTC One! cool.png

I threw all the rubble into a bucket this morning and filled it with RO/DI water to bake in the sun for the day. Tons of gunk formed at the top...my reef saver rock was way cleaner than this mixed variety.

Any suggestion on how I should clean this rock? 100% vinegar bath?

Vinegar or bleach and then dry it out completely. Vinegar would take of the outer layer of the rock. If you do the bleach you can treat with prime as well.

Would bleaching it be worth my time? Pure belach or 1:1 ratio with water?

1:1 would suffice. I did the vinegar bath in mine, but I buy vinegar by the 5 gallon bucket so I have enough to do so smile.png What I really liked about doing the vinegar bath is that it made the eco rock/reef saver rock, much smoother and cleaner. Be sure to RODI rinse it afterwards/soak it, so you dont end up with a crazy algae bloom or a tank that smells like fajita marinade.

Also: I re-ordered the skimmer from another vendor (free shipping) and it already has a tracking number (FedEx, no less).

I replied to the other vendor and am gonna try to get him to send me a shipping label. I'm not gonna pay for their mistakes.

1:1 would suffice. I did the vinegar bath in mine, but I buy vinegar by the 5 gallon bucket so I have enough to do so smile.png What I really liked about doing the vinegar bath is that it made the eco rock/reef saver rock, much smoother and cleaner. Be sure to RODI rinse it afterwards/soak it, so you dont end up with a crazy algae bloom or a tank that smells like fajita marinade.

I'll admit, the vingar sounds like the easier, less harsh way. It being small chunks of rubble...you think it would penetrate the inside of the rock to kill off most of the organics?

So, I think I'm gonna build a duplex fuge in the middle chamber of my sump.

I love the idea of an area for cryptic/benthic creatures to populate. Now all I need is some egg crate...

The thought of farming aiptasia in the sump, while interesting in theory, sounds a bit scary to me :)

I love the idea of an area for cryptic/benthic creatures to populate. Now all I need is some egg crate...

The thought of farming aiptasia in the sump, while interesting in theory, sounds a bit scary to me smile.png

I won't like...I'd be scared as hell of it moving to the display somehow. Could just use Xenia instead.

I wouldnt worry TOO much about organics.. Since its a new tank, you'll want a source of Ammonia. But to answer your question, it would definitely penetrate into the rock. Just be sure to get any sponges, or any other material off the surface area of the rock.

The thought of farming aiptasia in the sump, while interesting in theory, sounds a bit scary to me smile.png

I won't like...I'd be scared as hell of it moving to the display somehow. Could just use Xenia instead.

Someone on the forum actually has a blanket of xenia for filtration in their sump...

I wouldnt worry TOO much about organics.. Since its a new tank, you'll want a source of Ammonia. But to answer your question, it would definitely penetrate into the rock. Just be sure to get any sponges, or any other material off the surface area of the rock.

Well, I've already added pure ammonia as it is...I don't need an excess of ammonia stalling my cycle. More importantly, I don't want any phosphates leaking into the tank over time.

Gotcha, I'll try to brush the ouside for any loose decay.

Someone on the forum actually has a blanket of xenia for filtration in their sump...

Yeah...that seems like it would do a similar job.

I wouldnt get too concerned with phosphates yet. You arent going SPS for a while at least. I would just worry about your cycle, your QT process, and what kind fun goodies you want in the tank :) Let it coast on cruise control for a while.

I wouldnt get too concerned with phosphates yet. You arent going SPS for a while at least. I would just worry about your cycle, your QT process, and what kind fun goodies you want in the tank smile.png Let it coast on cruise control for a while.

Haha I get that, and you're right. I just like nipping things before they can develop into problems. I guess a 100% vinegar bath for the rubble followed by some RO/DI rinses should be sufficient.

As far as a QT process...is there a recommended way to do this? I've read a bit about iodine/peroxide dips on new additions, but honestly have never done it before.

QT as far as all coral go?

I do iodine on everything.

Peroxide on pretty much everything but softies. Fine with most zoas, lps, and sps. However, there's several here that have had problems with sps, or just a random coral in general, so use at your own risk. I also wouldn't do it on large LPS colonies single LPS coral like Euphyllia, lobos, trachys, elegance, etc. You're going to end up with so much goo it would be ridiculous. If it's something super expensive or sensitive, I probably wouldn't risk it. Definitely dip the frag plug at the very least. Just as likely to have something hiding on the plug than on the coral itself anyways.

QT as far as all coral go?

I do iodine on everything.

Peroxide on pretty much everything but softies. Fine with most zoas, lps, and sps. However, there's several here that have had problems with sps, or just a random coral in general, so use at your own risk. I also wouldn't do it on large LPS colonies single LPS coral like Euphyllia, lobos, trachys, elegance, etc. You're going to end up with so much goo it would be ridiculous. If it's something super expensive or sensitive, I probably wouldn't risk it. Definitely dip the frag plug at the very least. Just as likely to have something hiding on the plug than on the coral itself anyways.

Ah I see. Where might I get the iodine needed for this?

Archived