What do you see as a limitation of your current stand?

esacjack

My good friend is tossing around the idea of getting into building aquarium stands for reef tanks. He's currently in the research phase of his venture, but I thought I'd reach out to all of you for input. What are some of things that stand out to you as limitations of most retail stands? Are there features youd like to see more of? Pre-cut holes for plumbing, supports for plumbing/electrical, sound proofing/water proofing, stealth compartments for gear, etc...

Dimensions :| are my only complaint

Stands to me are a blank slate I can do whatever I want to mine plumbing and electrical wise (within dimensional constraints)

But a perfect stand for me would be:

Sturdy

Water resistant inside and out

Sound insulated

Have wire races or a means to secure/hide wires

Be easy to clean

Have sufficient lighting

Have some storage for chemicals and tools

Be grounded (electrically)

Be level

Be attractive

Be easily accessible on all sides

In my opinion there will be no "one size fits all" stand. Even with all the things listed above they have to be in the right place for each persons liking.

Oh and vented

agree with Capt Obvious, as well as you have to find the right person that can afford a custom stand. Most people cant imagine paying close to $1k for a stand. If you figure a custom carpenter gets $22-$28/hr and a custom welder gets $23-$32/hr so if it takes you 3 days to build a stand and 8hrs a day then the labor alone is from $528-$768 depending on pay. It makes it really hard to build a stand cost effective enough for people to afford. I have built a few custom stands and pretty much all your gonna do is have fun doing it and break even.

None of mine are big eough to hold a 1700 gallon tank! laugh.png Probably the most frustrating detail I run into is limited access becasue the doors don't remove easily or door hinges that don't allow the doors to open a full 180 degres.

I like a simple enclosed setup. I'm fine with furniture or marine grade 3/4 ply. Open back, big door (or doors if structurally necessary) on the front for easy access. I can mount my own power strips and an open back makes running plumbing and cables easy.

9/10 stands are not made for a rimless or flat bottom tank. They basically only support the typical lower rim that glass tanks have. Works great for normal perfecto or aqueon tanks, but it's very difficult to properly retrofit a strong enough surface for a flat bottom tank. I really like rimless tanks and more manufacturers are making them. It's very difficult to find proper stands for them.

Dimensions would be next.

Height - Most commercial stands are too low. 24, 28, or even 30" is way to low to the ground for most tanks. Unless it's a behemoth of a tank, I want a 36 or 40" high stand every time. Fish are far less stressed out, and makees viewing much more enjoyable most of the time. It also makes working in the sump way easier. I could put in and remove a 30" tall skimmer in my current stand. Half the off the shelf stuff, your sump basically ends up being permanently build into the stand because you cannot remove it or the skimmer from it.

Length and width - virtually nothing available for cube tanks that don't come with a stand from the manufacturer such as nano cube tanks.

If you could get a decent price and product, someone could make a business selling cube stands alone to ADA and Mr Aqua tank owners that don't want to pay $700 - $1000 for an ADA stand.

access has been my biggest issue and I am about to be moving from a 75 to a 90 gallon tank. I decided to build a new stand for the move and I am building it so all sides are removable. I will post pics soon.

fyi, I only spent about $127.00 on materials. granted I already have the paint I'm going to use of course the tools required.

Thanks esacjack for starting this thread. I am that friend that he is referring to. I am a woodworker and not necessarily an aquarist, at this point in time (but esac is quickly making a good case to become). I have been picking at his brain for a few weeks now trying to wrap my mind around the various needs and feautures that one would want to see go into a stand.

What i know for sure is that everyone will have different needs. Everyone have different setups and that everyone will have different ways of organizing their space. The first thing i knew going into this was that making stands was not going to be a one size fits all.

So i turn it over to you guys. Tell me what is most important to you, what dimensions are most ideal, what add ons interest you the most, i would even like to hear what is wrong with the stands that you currently have.

This is the point in my research where i would begin making a 3D model of the stand that i would make but my lack of knowledge prevents me from doing that. I would love to get to a point where i can make a prototype for someone and work out the kinks that way. Let me know if anyone is interested.

As far as stands go I think most of the stuff I would be interested in has already been listed. I have been looking for a cube tank, stand, and canopy at them moment but have not been able to find the canopy. Stands are a little easier but not much so I would be really interested in a black stand and canopy for a square tank.

I like all of Capt Obvious's ideas.

Wire runs, a shelf to mount my DJ powerstrip, some method to attach my MP40 controller, extra width to accomodate an ATO setup, no center brace, and taller are all things I'd change on my current setup.

Lots of good stuff on here. At the risk of echoing some things other said here's my input. I'll base this off some good and bad things I've experienced with my own DIY stand for my 75 planted, and with my stupid pressed wood marineland stand i'm currently using for my 55 reef.

Completely enclosed. No openings on any of the 4 sides. For ventillation, I'd say install a small computer fan or something on each end, or in the top corners on the back, one bringing air into the stand, one acting as an exhaust and pulling it out.

Water resistant coating inside

Some method to fit a sump inside that runs the length of the stand. As in, if my display is a 75 gallon, I'd like to be able to fit a 48" sump inside the stand. AND be able to remove it if I felt so inclined. Neither of my stands have that option as they have center braces. I hate that my marineland stand is open in the back. Makes the return pump and sump noises irritating and ugly to look at. I hate that I didnt put a side door on my 75 gallon stand because now I'll never be able to fit a 48" or even a 36" sump under the stand due to the center brace. It's a shame too because it's a beautiful stand.

Other things I'd probably want to DIY if I had more time: mounting a cheap light fixture to the top. nothing more than maybe a single 24" t8 tube, just so I dont have to use a flashlight every time I go in the stand.

Mounts for my power strips (I should probably do that sooner than later for safety reasons

Shelving to clean up the floor space of all my brushes, syringes, hoses, and bottles

Heavy duty mounts for my RODI filter and Dual Reactor so I don't have to lug them around when refilling and using.

I'm going to get Esac's dimensions on his cubed tank and go from there. I think i'm ready to start a protoype. I really appreciate all the feedback. You guys have been great. Once i am done building this stand and canopy i will post the pictures of it here. Hopefully then you guys can disect it with me and see what changes can be made.

Archived