wtf is eating my paly skirts?

esacjack

I noticed one of my paly's skirts missing (not retracted, missing) yesterday. I dont know what could have eaten it. I have nothing in the tank besides 2 hermit crabs (blue and red) and 2 trochus snails. There are tons of MASSIVE sized pods though. I've read elsewhere that pods have been witnessed eating zoas. I've also read the nay sayers chiming in with their 2 cents. Here's the stats of the tank.

SG: 1.025

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 5 ppm

Phos: 0

Cal: 450ish

Tank inhabitants are mainly zoanthids/palys, chalices, a few acros, and several montis

No recent tank additions.

I know it isn't pox as they're palys (two types) that are being affected.

My dipping solution consists of a FWE quick dip, Lugols solution, QT for 1 week, with a full 30 minute dip on the 7th day, one day of rest, and then acclimated to frag tank.

Feeding:

1 Rod's feeding per week

1 CoralFrenzy feeding per week

Dosing: (every Tues/Sat)

1ml Pohls

1ml sponge power

1ml vitalizer

1ml amino acid

Attached is a pic. I am a little worried, as this is my favorite piece currently. I havent -seen- any nudi's in there. Ive been watching pretty hard core at night and during the day. The only thing Ive noticed happening were pods picking on them/algal film.

post-2969-0-36269200-1367623524_thumb.pn

Thoughts?

Mine do the same thing Ty said. Sometimes a random polyp will close up uncomfortably tight and eventually just disappear. No explanation. Often times a new one will grow right back where the other one was. Had this happen twice recently.

First was a frag of 8 kedd red polyps melted away down to one polyp. I pulled the frag plug and moved to the opposite end of the tank after a lugols dip and now it bounced back to 30-40 polyps over a few months. Recently lost all but one of an eye of rah colony, moved them over 4" and 4 have grown back. I have no idea what goes on with zoas. They're the hardest thing to grow for me

hmm not that i can recall. my tank is pretty set and forget. somehow all my levels stay in check without me ever touching it. my hand hasnt been in the tank in two months :) as a matter of fact, i thought it might be too crowded in the tank so i built a frag rack in my curing tank ( t5 1 white 2 blue 1 fiji purple) so my nitrates have been irregularly low. i have a red lamp built into my actinic pendant for observation, so ive been monitoring that way. the only thing ive changed recently is ive rotated my sps in the tank to get more light in the hard shadowed areas.

At c4 i was talking with the guy from zoanthid.com and he said pods will eat zoas. He also said they only do it if something is wrong with them and they are already on there way out. ie melting and the pods clean it up. I had a couple of frags get eaten this way. then it stopped and all my other zoas have been fine since and growing. It kind of sucks because pods are a good thing and everyone wants them in there tank.

shawn thats exactly what ive read. Once pods detect that a polyp is weak/dying, they invade and start nibbling. I just watched a pod carry off a piece of skirt from the mother paly. Sad. turned.gif

i moved my coris wrasse from the main tank into the frag tank to knock down the pod population... i forgot what a mess the coris makes... ugh... sand is everywhere...it WAS in a tupperware container, but apparently it looks better on my acans....

I have found that with my palys and zoas until they are producing new heads and in my tank at least 1 month I leave them up on my frag rack. This has seemed to help.

Archived