Xenia Killer

Rjohn

I was talking to a guy at C4 who said he was going to try using an electric aiptasia killing device to eradicate xenia. I wanted to know the results and if anyone has such a device I can borrow. I need to get rid of some xenia sprouts.

FYI I tried doing that for a larger tank and found it did cause some spreading, I'd recommend rigging up an airline tubing taped to the electric end to siphon out as you go , otherwise if you burn a base and then it reattaches later you'll have to keep up the fight.

Texas trash. Someone gave me some of these for free once and I thought it was a score. Once I found out what they were I put them in the refugium. These things are on the level of aiptasia in my opinion.

post-2651-0-91251000-1365596324_thumb.jp

I liked them at first since they pop under actinics but once they started jumping rocks they really started getting out of control and choking other zoas.

I'm only on day 3 of using Aiptasia X on them but I'd say it was a success. It's the very tiny baby ones that I miss but they can't hide under the actinics so I'll report in the next couple of days if I got them all permanently.

Hey Brian,

Some of those trash palys snuck on to a frag I bought awhile ago. They have overgrown my tubbs blues and I am ready to send them packing. So did you just feed them aptasia X and they happily accepted and died or did you stick them with a syringe? I think if applied carefully, I may be able to kill them all off without damaging my tubbs blue below them.

I basically just pushed the syringe in their mouth and squirted, it's not a pointy tip at all. I wasn't worried about any excess or getting into the water column since its safe for everything. I can swing by with some whenever you want those pics taken.

Not that I condone it but I accidentally left my light on all night one time and poof... all my xenia died the next day. Easiest eradication ever. I did lose some chalices and one lps but no more xenia!

That's funny; my ORA pom-poms have been under 24/7 lighting since the day I got them, in my refugium.