Feeding opinions

Bpb

I'm sure this may have been covered before. The opinions seem to be pretty vast. Some people seem to feed multiple times a day, citing corals and fish have a constant abundant food availability in the wild. Others feed two or three times a week saying any more than that leads to phosphate issues.

How often do you all feed your tanks? If you feel so inclined share what sorts of inhabitants you're actually feeding, and what you're feeding.

Just lookin for opinions on how I can improve my own habits.

Spectrum pellets, 2 - 3 times per week.

It does depend on your fish though. If you have anthias and some other high metabolism fish, they may need fed 3 or more times per day. If you have low metabolism fish like a moray eel, they need once a week, maybe less for a large one.

I can already see I'm feeding too much possibly. I've been feeding spectrum pellets daily, except Tuesdays and Thursdays I feed 1/3 of a cube of frozen marine mix

55 gal. Clown, gramma, damsel, cardinal, engineer goby (never once seen this guy eat and he's huge).

I will put 2-3 pinches in and watch it get eaten. Maybe 1-2 pellets fall hidden each time. Probably 20-25 pellets a day I guess.

I used to feed less, but I started feeding daily and the response in coral coloration has been noticeable. Even my easy sps look better. Aside from a chalice I'm trying to get light acclimated the corals seem to respond well to it. But my tank is getting a little messy looking. Not explosive hair algae or cyano. Just lots of detritus and biofilm

Edited by Bpb

I feed 2 pinches of Spectrum pellets (.5) daily. Some days I'll feed maybe a 3rd of a Formula 1 cube instead of the pellets. I try to feed them twice on weekends. 1 clown, 2 chromis, 1 firefish, 1 engineer goby, 1 six-line wrasse.

Lol, I feed..... Too much

Probably 7-8 pinches of nls pellets daily

3 frozen cubes of mixed foods (mysis, brine, etc) daily

And nori daily

Occasional coral food every other day or so.

How's your skimmate look after all that feeding

And nori daily

Caveat: You run biopellets. Heavy feeding is pretty much required :)

And nori daily

How's your skimmate look after all that feeding

It's black pretty much all the time.

You're right, there certainly are a range of opinions on this. laugh.png This 4 1/2 year old tank has two Ehiem autofeeders feeding four times a day with two feedings at each time with Spectrum pellets for about a daily total of two teaspoons or 1 gram (roughly equal to 9 grams of frozen). Most days it also gets about 6 cubes of various frozen foods and nori. System does not have a skimmer but is using lighted and cryptic refugiums, the phosphates are about .011 ppm (Elos) and I have no idea what the nitrates are.

Most days it also gets about 6 cubes of various frozen foods and nori. System does not have a skimmer but is using lighted and cryptic refugiums, the phosphates are about .011 ppm (Elos) and I have no idea what the nitrates are.

I might start feeding a few cubes a day if my tank will look like that... What volume is that?

Jestep, It's a 500 gallon DT with another hundred gallons in the various sumps and lighted and cryptic refugiums. Along with the fast coral growth I really credit the use of the two different types of refugiums for controlling the phosphates without needing to use GFO. For the first three and a half years they were around .06 ppm and this was without changing out any of the mud as is reccomended by the manufacterer or Leng Sy who developed the mud methodology. By the way the lighted refugium was about 2/5s the footprint of the DT so based on the results I've had I'd say refugiums can be much, much smaller than the DT and still be very beneficial, I've heard some say they need to be a significant percentage of the DT to work well.

Pellets once a day, small pinch, maybe 5X during the week.

Feed the tanks something frozen one day a week. (They seem to like squid and mysis the best)

One day, no food.

Mantis and nems get silversides once a week to ten days.

Couple of drops of Oyster Feast every 2-3 days.