Ruger lc9 with lasermax.

I got this ruger lc9 with factory laser max laser a while back and its been in the glove box of my car for several months. I finaly got to the range to shoot it put 20 rounds through it and my hands are just to big for it.

Would like to get 400 for it or possible trade for a kel tec plr-16 and I will toss in some cash.

I would consider other firearms but the kel tec is the one I am looking for.

On the other hand I just picked up a kel tec PRM 30 and its a flipping amazingly fun gun to shoot. I have been looking for one for 2 years now they have been from 850-1600 on gunbroker for the last 2 years and I just could not do that for a plinking gun. I happened to walk into a local shop that had just put one in there display at almost MSRP I think I drooled a bit and did not even haggle LOL.

If you are interested it will need to be shipped to a ffl shop or we can meet at one. I am not sure how to sell a used gun never have or never have purchased one private party.

Thanks for that info

Would a scrap of paper written as a receipt save my rear if the person I sold it to went out and shot 3 people then tossed it ? Or is there some form to fill out that removes me as the owner of the weapon ? Seems to easy but I have never sold one of my guns lol and I think the thought of that happening is a big part of it.

Legally you don't have to do anything. If the scenario played out like that the only thing that would happen is they would come knock on your door and ask you a few questions. You tell them you sold it.. Yadda yadda.. End of story.. My father in law has his FFL and teaches CHL classes. I'm pretty familiar with the laws.

-Jake

Sent from my Android4.2 CM10.1 S3 Device

• 2 weeks later...

While Jake is absolutely technically correct I think the yadda yadda breezes past a bit. I'm a criminal defense lawyer and while this is not legal advise I would like to point out that my experience is that they do a pretty thorough job of checking your story. This isn't going to be something you just explain away and they leave.They're going to want some serious details. Saw this happen in Waco once. Took a few weeks before the seller was completely clear and he had to make several trips to the police station.

I bought a Tech 9 at a gun show in Waco and sold it to a fellow law student a few months later. I drew up a quick receipt/contract for the sale. Included the serial number of the gun and made him put down the last 3 digits of his driver's license number and sign it. I haven't had a problem (he was an ex cop so....) but I feel covered if it ever came up.

Getting a receipt is a good idea. Witnesses etc is probably over kill. A lot of it depends on who you sell it to. If you know the person or are able to give the police info on them then it isn't as big of a deal. Your real problem is when you sell to a stranger at gun show or even worse out on the street.

There is no state registration for firearms. So unless you registered it with the mfg, it wouldn't matter. Private sales are 100% legal in the state of texas. If you're feeling paranoid, draw up a bill of sale (you can get the receipt books from office depot) and then have it notarized during the monetary transaction.

While there is no state registry if the gun was originally purchased through a FFL and the federally mandated NCIS background check was performed then that gun's serial number is on the form next to your name as the purchaser. Local law enforcement has access to this database.

While the private sale is currently legal the question is how does he protect himself if a subsequent owner does something illegal with the gun and the cops check the database and see him as the last owner? Only real answer is to sell to descent people and get a receipt. Or just give it to me. :)

If you can't find a buyer on here, http://texasguntrader.com/ is great.

As everyone has said, as long as you don't KNOW the person is not legally allowed to purchase a gun, you are fine.

TGT has this firearm bill of sale that you can print, just as a CYOA and peice of mind.

http://texasguntrader.com/billofsale.pdf

• 2 months later...

Archived