Koralia vs. Seio

KarenM

I have a koralia 4. Its no tunze, but it moves alot of water around still, compared to a regular powerhead.

I am decently pleased with it, and at $50 (Horizon has them for that price, same you get online!), it was a pretty good deal.

I dont personally know about the seio.

I have a koralia 4. Its no tunze, but it moves alot of water around still, compared to a regular powerhead.

I am decently pleased with it, and at $50 (Horizon has them for that price, same you get online!), it was a pretty good deal.

I dont personally know about the seio.

I LOVE my two koralias I got at horizon several months ago. Also, dont personally know about the seio.

I LOVE my two koralias I got at horizon several months ago. Also, dont personally know about the seio.

Why? Do they spit bubbles like powerheads? I don't understand how they do that, since they're underwater and not exposed to air.

I'm hoping to find something to move a lot of water, but not cause the water to be less clear.

Why? Do they spit bubbles like powerheads? I don't understand how they do that, since they're underwater and not exposed to air.

I'm hoping to find something to move a lot of water, but not cause the water to be less clear.

The stronger powerheads will spit bubbles if they are to close to the surface of the water.. They tend to create a whirlpool effect and suck air in a stream from the surface of the water.

These are about 12" down. Now that I look closer, I think they may be just blowing around the air bubbles created by the return pump (or whatever is causing it). I've seen a couple of koralias in action and they seemed to just invisibly move the water, not like the PH's that blow a hard stream. I'm just wondering if the seios are a good substitue for the koralias.

I have used both (Seio 620,820,1100) and the Koralia 4. So far I am very impressed with the Koralia. It puts out more flow than any of the Seios I have owned and is quieter. The Seio is gray and stands out more against a black background, but the Koralia has a aweful orange colored prop so looks are about even. Size is about even as well. Mounting options favor the Koralia because it has the magnet mounting, while the Seios come with a complicated bracket system. If I was buying new it would be no contest, but the Seios are still good pumps if the price is right.

I have three #4s in my tank. I love them ten times more than my Seio(s). I only had the suction cups for the seio, and coming home to find out your seio went face first into your sandbed sucks. It looked like a snow storm! Power consumption is lower on the Koralias as well, if I do remember correctly.

I am currently running 2 seio 1100's and 2 koralia #3s. The only reason I have the seios is because they are running on a controller that alternates the flow. The koralias have yet to come out with one, but I have run them on the seio controller and they seem to run just fine on it. I ma trade out my 2 seios for some more koralias.

• 3 weeks later...

I've bee using seios for 3 years and really like them. I've got hte 620, 1500, and 2600 and have never had any issues with any of them. You really need to get a magnetic mount for them though - the brackets that come with the pumps stink. One big plus with the Seios is that they have a good controller out for them now that adjusts the speed from 30% to 100% so you can get a good surge without ever shutting the pumps down.

question, is the Koralia you use on a wavemaker or some kind of timer?

some one indicate that there is a lot of noise and bubble during start up, so it's not the best thing if you on a wave timer?

(set for short interval)

The koralias are not good on timers. I have my maxijets on a timer, but the koralia stays on all the time. The propeller is not secured to the shaft it spins around, so when they turn off the propeller tends to slip down. Then when they turn on the propeller is shifted back into place by resistive force and that makes noise and can possibly damage the unit. I'm going to experiment with using a small coffee straw to hold the propeller in place when it's off. I will let you know if that solves the problem. It could be an issue with the strength of the magnets, so I'll keep you posted.

Edited by 4R00P3R