Fluval Spec-V

jestep

IMG_0230_1024.jpg

FTS 5-23-2013:
IMAG0976%20(Custom).jpg

I feel a bit uncreative after seeing the DIY dropoff and the xbox, but here we go. Will update with the official picture this evening. This was from last week. Don't have my rock yet, so it's going to be a day or two before I can get this rolling.

spec-v-startup.jpg

Lighting build: 3 Cool White and 3 Royal Blue Cree's. Have room for 5 more on the heatsink if needed. This should be pretty intense as is.
IMAG0773-(Custom).jpg

Around $70 with a dim-able driver and optics and a nice 12 x 1 heatsink. I could not find a single off the shelf fixture in the ballpark that offered both blue and white led's in the same unit. Ecoxotic was the closest but would have cost significantly more.

3w blues and 5w whites, but I doubt I'm going to drive them very high for longevity sake.

Rapid LED is where I got the heatsink. I didn't see any 2.5 ones though. You may be able to find one on ebay. There were a ton when I looked last.

where did you get the LEDs from as i am looking at supplementing blue on my tank

Around $70 with a dim-able driver and optics and a nice 12 x 1 heatsink. I could not find a single off the shelf fixture in the ballpark that offered both blue and white led's in the same unit. Ecoxotic was the closest but would have cost significantly more

• 2 weeks later...

I've been really busy this week so finally got time to get things together today.

Got the rock in now. Slightly less than 2#. Used a little epoxy to join to pieces together.

pico-rock-1.jpg

Also, finished wiring the LED fixture. I haven't built one of these before, but assembly and soldering the LED's together only took about 15 minutes. It is unbelievably bright and I think I'll be seeing spots for the next week.

pico-led.jpg

pico-led-2.jpg

Still haven't mounted the hanging arm which is a shelf rail I got on ebay for a few dollars, but otherwise I'm pleased with the color. I have lenses for these but I'm still not certain I'm going to use them.

pico-rock-2.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

But seriously, Ammonia and NO2 just finally hit zero, so should start stocking this week. I think I'm going for a ricordia and sexy shrimp tank, no fish planned at all right now. but not 100% decided. Would really like to get some purple xenia in there as well, but it's definitely pushing the budget to the limit.

• 1 month later...

Just got an ebay ricordia order in today. Got a really good deal on some at about $5.50 each. We'll see how the color is as I'm not expecting anything mind blowing for this price. They all looked healthy upon arrival though.

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing major but a few closeups. Added some red dragon macro from my main tank sump. Had it situated well for a few days, but a few pieces have uprooted. A bit tough to keep it in one place since it wont attach to anything.

IMAG0962%20(Custom).jpg

IMAG0959%20(Custom).jpg

IMAG0958%20(Custom).jpg

IMAG0957%20(Custom).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah that's weird it took so long. Mine happened pretty much right away and the stomatella I have in there ate it all practically overnight. I haven't seen any since. I have a bunch of stomatella in my 8gal if you need one.

• 4 weeks later...

Diatoms completely gone. Just did a decent water change and waited them out.

Updated picture. Not really any changes as far as additions. Topping off 2 times per week. AC was out for about 5 days so the house and thus tank water got up to about 90 degrees. Bleached at least 1 ricordea. Hopefully it makes a recovery.

IMAG0976%20(Custom).jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Final stocking/equipment list. Not really changed in 2 months. Will get a picture after I scrub the glass.

About 12 Florida Ricordea

Dragon's breath algae (Halymenia)

Gracilaria Hayi algae

That's about it. Still going to add some zoas, some purple cespitularia, and probably some sexy shrimp. In no hurry whatsoever.

Fixture is still DIY from rapid LED. Hydor theo heater but not being used much since my AC has been out 2x in the past month. About 1# of special grade reef sand and 3# of BRS pukani rock. Single stock pump. Stock foam in the rear chamber. No carbon, GFO, or really any additives. Have done 2 water changes total now. Top off ~2x per week if I remember it with about 12 - 20 oz of Ro/DI. This has to be the most neglected tank I've ever setup. I'm very convinced that no fish = easy tank. I did have a slight diatom bloom, and now have some green film algae, which I'm confident will go away whenever I get around to doing another water change. Ricordea don't seem to mind hitting 90 degrees due to no AC. Did bleach one, but it's still hanging in there.

Archived