thoughts on t5/moonlight fixture

ct67stang

hi, just wanted to get ya'lls imput/opinion on this fixture http://www.ebay.com/itm/300792731293?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619 i want to upgrade the original 2/t5 built in fixture on my 46g fluval venezia corner tank. also i know that changing the light intensity can harm your livestock. so how do you transition to an upgrade? thanks

i dont have any experience with this fixture in particular but i purchased that same brand in a halide light off ebay a while back. the light was always rattling and the fans were super loud! i got no support from them after the purchase. While their prices are great i kinda got what I payed for. thats a completely different fixture i had tho, i cant imagine you can go too far wrong with t5's and moon lights especially if your upgrading from standard t5 bulbs

Some people use shade cloth or screen in several layers and gradually remove the layers. The link didn't say if if there were two power cords but if there are you could use two timers, one with the same times you are currently using and the other start at one hour and increase the time by an hour or two each week. This being said I would encourage you to go LED. If you look at bulb cost alone the payoff is probably 5 or 6 years. Buildmyled.com is one of ARCs sponsers and makes a pretty nice fixture. Also, I myself have had few problems increasing light intensity for most of my corals and in some cases have doubled PAR readings with no negative effects.

i dont have any experience with this fixture in particular but i purchased that same brand in a halide light off ebay a while back. the light was always rattling and the fans were super loud! i got no support from them after the purchase. While their prices are great i kinda got what I payed for. thats a completely different fixture i had tho, i cant imagine you can go too far wrong with t5's and moon lights especially if your upgrading from standard t5 bulbs

im a big believer of you get what u pay for too. sometimes its ok sometimes not. thanks ur experience with this same brand will help on deciding

Some people use shade cloth or screen in several layers and gradually remove the layers. The link didn't say if if there were two power cords but if there are you could use two timers, one with the same times you are currently using and the other start at one hour and increase the time by an hour or two each week. This being said I would encourage you to go LED. If you look at bulb cost alone the payoff is probably 5 or 6 years. Buildmyled.com is one of ARCs sponsers and makes a pretty nice fixture. Also, I myself have had few problems increasing light intensity for most of my corals and in some cases have doubled PAR readings with no negative effects.

the price tags are what keep me from that option, but you make a great point on the long term saving. that gives me ammo for justifying the price to the wifey spiteful.gif.

I have one i bought off ebay. The bulbs are crap, so expect to spend some dosh on bulbs. (if they arrive in one piece ;) ) For my LR vat I bought one that doesnt have a timer, nor does it have a name really. The 4 light fixture cost me about 55 dollars with bulbs. Very bright, had to shade my GSP frags as they were starting to lose color. :/

Archived