Gap Between Tank and Stand

lildodoo

I built a stand for my Marineland 150 gal (36x36x27) and now that I have the tank on the stand, I noticed a gap between the stand and tank in one of the corners. The gap is a little less than 2 credit cards thick and about 8-9 inches long. Any advice on what I can use to fill the gap with. The stand is stained and poly coated so I would like to not have to take it apart.

Thanks for any advice.

post-988-0-08448000-1355240303_thumb.jpg post-988-0-63019900-1355240073_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't fill the gap with anything. Instead, I would shim the foot of the stand in that back corner. The weight of the tank/water will push down on the stand, so I believe what you want to do is "raise the stand to meet the tank" rather than support just the tank corner. With that amount of gap I think the tank will flex when full, which isn't really what you want it to do.

The other option is putting a piece of foam under the entire length of the tank. You can use wall insulation from Lowes or Home Depot (it comes in sheets) to accomplish that.

I like putting grey shower pan liner under my tanks (sold by the foot at home depot/lowes), as well as heavy duty screw feet on the stand (like they have on a washing machine), this allows for fine tuning your stand to make it level...but I am pretty sure that gap will take care of itself once sand rock and water are added.

This is what I use under my rimless tanks, 1/2 inch thickness. It's thick enough to absorb some serious surface imperfections. http://www.foamorder.com/custom_cuts.php?product=closedcell&shape=1

Order it about 1/2 inch wider in each direction. Takes about 2 weeks for a custom order last time I ordered some. Also, as small of a gap as you;re dealing with, you may be able to get away with a $10 target yoga mat.

Thanks for all the advice. Not sure if I am just thinking of this wrong but if I shim the bottom of the stand isn't it just going to raise the stand and the tank, won't the gap still be there or will the stand flex a lil? My tank is currently level with the gap. Shouldn't I put a shim between the tank and stand just so there is something for the tank to sit on? I'm pretty sure that if i just left it, and I filled the tank it would just flex and fill the gap, so would 2 credit card thickness be to much stress. The tank does have a trim. I have thought about the foam but trying to see if there is another fix, not sure the wife wants to see a foam pad between the tank and stand.

Thanks again.

Oops, I thought it was rimless. You could do the yoga mat and then trim it flush around the base. It's such a small gap that I'm sort of with you that the tank would settle regardless. My concern would be that this is a ton of water if it were to bust a seam. We dumped about 10 gallons on our carpeted dining room, and it was a huge task to clean up and dry out. 150 gallons would be inline with complete room destruction if you weren't there to take action immediately

With that small of a gap I would do like Mike said and just shim the corner of the stand. The wieght of the tank with water the stand will most likely flex. You might try filling it with tap water just like it is and see if that doesn't flatten the stand out without shimming. Of course the suggestions about using styrofoam or stiff padding are also good if there is not an issue with aesthetics.

Shimming the corner of the stand will not help you with the gap if it is a solid surface. Having a gap at all is less than ideal but you MIGHT be okay. How level is the surface? That is there the shimming will come into play. To be honest, there is a part of me that would be concerned, but as I said it might be okay. You don't want to stress the glass. I know this is not what you want to hear, but the best solutions is to sand it level, and refinish it. If it is JUST the back corner as the tank, that means there is a dip in the top (best case) or there is a large bow in the top, worse case. If it is just a dip, then a shim should relieve any stress that there might be.

Oops, I thought it was rimless. You could do the yoga mat and then trim it flush around the base. It's such a small gap that I'm sort of with you that the tank would settle regardless. My concern would be that this is a ton of water if it were to bust a seam. We dumped about 10 gallons on our carpeted dining room, and it was a huge task to clean up and dry out. 150 gallons would be inline with complete room destruction if you weren't there to take action immediately

I have been there done that. My first tank was a Red Sea Max 250, had it for about 3 months and it busted on the bottom corner. Red Sea offered to replace the tank but not the live stock or the cleaning bill for my wife's new rug. Although not my fault I was on the couch for 2 weeks...lol If I was to have another busted tank I would be out of the house..doh.gif

Shimming the corner of the stand will not help you with the gap if it is a solid surface. Having a gap at all is less than ideal but you MIGHT be okay. How level is the surface? That is there the shimming will come into play. To be honest, there is a part of me that would be concerned, but as I said it might be okay. You don't want to stress the glass. I know this is not what you want to hear, but the best solutions is to sand it level, and refinish it. If it is JUST the back corner as the tank, that means there is a dip in the top (best case) or there is a large bow in the top, worse case. If it is just a dip, then a shim should relieve any stress that there might be.

It is a solid surface that is why I am not sure how shimming the bottom of the stand would work. Is it OK to shim between the tank and stand??

It is a solid surface that is why I am not sure how shimming the bottom of the stand would work. Is it OK to shim between the tank and stand??

That is what I was saying, between tank and stand. If you built it then you probably have the tools to "fix" it. Again not what you want to hear, but that is that I'd do. Believe me, after the time it took to build my stand I was MORE than ready to get the tank on it and full of salt water, so I know how much you probably want to be done with that stage... but I still stand by better to be safe now, than WAY sorry later. just my 2cents.

Plane down the entire top surface until it is all level. Marineland will most likely not warranty this if it broke due to stress caused by a stand you built, insurance company could also reject any claim caused directly by your tank leaking.

Cheers,

Archived