57g Illuminata Build

CaptainK

• 4 weeks later...

So my Squamosa has been growing a lot faster than expected. I decided to redo my aquascape to give it more room. I like the more open look and it gives my SPS more room to grow. Now to find spots for the corals still on the sandbed!

post-2179-0-01169200-1386779238_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I envy every aspect of this tank. This is perfect! If I owned your tank, I would not need anything else ever. I love how often you post pictures, the amount of pictures, and the quality of the pictures. I would definitely vote this a tank of the month.

I applaud your efforts and success with this tank and most of all your picture taking skills. I missed your bulb combo somewhere along the way. Your pics look natural and have lots of color and pop. My pics look like I filled the tank with windex. What's the secret?

• Like 1

I appreciate the compliments! The key to photographing your reef is white balance. Most cameras do not support a high enough white balance to offset the blue color. If you can find a simple photo editing software that allows you to change your white balance to a higher setting or even adding additional Yellow to your color balance, that should do the trick. If you can find a camera that shoots in RAW, that helps a bunch! For bulbs, I am using 3 ATI Blue Plus, 1 ATI Aquablue Special, 1 ATI Purple Plus and 1 ATI Coral Plus. I will most likely swap out the Coral Plus for another Blue Plus since I did not notice a difference.

• 1 month later...

The tank is now up and running at the new apartment! I decided to get a new stand and add a hood. The girlfriend thought the hood would help with the blue light... not so much, but I think it looks good. During the move I had most of the corals out of water for 2-3 hours and almost all have survived. I splashed the corals with saltwater every so often to keep them from drying out. Instead of taking all of the coral off the rocks and then taking apart my aquascape, I decided to move it all in 2 pieces. This probably wasn't the best idea but it worked out and I did not have to re-aquascape. I'm currently going bare bottom but I plan to add a thin layer of crushed coral in the future. An unknown advantage of going bare bottom is that you can look up underneath the tank and get a new perspective!

post-2179-0-86787800-1396837842_thumb.jp

post-2179-0-53731300-1396837860_thumb.jp

post-2179-0-18552900-1396838949_thumb.jp

Congrats on the move. I love your pink birds nest. If you ever have a tiny stick please let me know. It is the exact color I am looking for. Your tank is amazing.

I always have frags. Just a heads up though, the color is dependent on your lighting. Under metal halide it was purple.