What are the chances...

PeeperKeeper

...that this Superman Monti might survive/recover? Shortly after I got it, my metal halide ballast went out and it took a while to get it working, and I found out my calcium and DKH were low. The monti bleached out and I assumed it had died. It even has algae on it. But I raised the Ca and DKH and got the MH's back up a week or two ago and today I noticed it looks like it has polyp extension. The base is still green with algae instead of the purple it was when I got it, but I don't think those orange polyps were there last week. Is this possible?

post-28-0-90554500-1353353899_thumb.jpg

I would try to get it in a lower light area so the zooxanthellae in the coral can recover. I've seen some come back from what I thought was certain death. However, in a high light area, they will have a very difficult time recovering.

jestep, that seems counterintuitive to me. I had been thinking the reason I "lost" it was because it wasn't getting enough light when my MH went out (with the low Ca/DKH contributing). Now the MH has been back on for a couple weeks and it seems to be showing signs of life. Are you sure I should move it to less light? I'm afraid to do anything different now. It's right at mid-level in my standard 75G.

Here's my rationality on bleached coral. First off, if he actually looks like he's coming back where he is, it's may best to leave him be. Further stress is detrimental to recovery, but I've not had good luck leaving completely bleached coral in high light. Your's is a bit of an anomaly, because algae growth would suggest there is no tissue left at all, and yet, you have polyp extension. Also, it didn't bleach due to too much light so you may be ok on that alone. Otherwise, in my experience, moving them to lower light really helps the color return and then move them slowly back up to full light once the tissue looks healthy. I've had a few monti's, a chalice, and some random SPS bleach in high lighting and never be able to recover. I've saved frags of the same types by moving them to low light and moving them back after the color starts to recover.

You may want to take an old toothbrush and LIGHTLY brush the surface to remove the accumulated algae.

spot on, I was going to suggest something to remove algae. I thought maybe a peroxide dip, but since the piece is already impacted manual removal is probably best. +1

• 1 month later...

Great news! The monti is in full recovery mode and growing very nicely.

post-28-0-94126700-1357317717_thumb.jpg

Also, I had added a new birdsnest to my tank a couple weeks ago and it started bleaching just a little. I took Jestep's advise and moved it lower in the tank and it recovered immediately, like the next day. It made sense on that one because I had just bought it and it wasn't used to my 2x 250W MH's and 4 x 54W T5's.

I'm really happy with my tank now. I think it's in the best condition it's ever been (I've had it about 12 years). Now I want to get more SPS, but I'm gonna b careful to make sure I can keep up with the calcium needs as I get more stonies growing.

I just left it where it was. I did use a soft toothbrush to try to remove some of the algae a few times, but it didn't really seem to do anything and I was afraid to brush too hard. I've been religious about maintaining the calcium and DKH, and since all my lights are working well now, I think it was just a matter of getting what it needed just in the nick of time. I was really shocked that it came back at all because I swear for at least a week or two it just looked like a part of the rock, no polyps and green algae growing over it. Superman Monti is a good name for it.

I actually credit that little piece of coral with my tank being in such good shape now because seeing it recover kept me watching the tank, which kept me adding calcium, and reef builder, etc. which made me want to add more corals, which made me enjoy the tank more...

Here's the whole tank. Superman is just to the right of center, mid-level. Look how it pops!

post-28-0-41039700-1357319543_thumb.jpg

• Like 1