APEX LED Dimming, What am I doing wrong

I just got my BuildMyLED order and I'm trying to ramp them up and down, on and off with the apex V1/V2 etc variable ports.

I have everything hooked up with Cat5 cables and named on the Profiles on the Apex for the Variable Outlets. But when I switch the "LED Outlet" on or off, it has no effect on the LED's themselves. I do see that the green light on the APEX Module is turning on and off with the programming.

Did I miss a step somewhere? They are APEX dimmer module ready.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rory, you need to set up ramp profiles, then program the variable outlets to use them, eg:

Fallback OFF

Set OFF

If Time 07:00 to 08:00 Then SunriseB

If Time 08:00 to 20:00 Then MiddayB

If Time 20:00 to 21:00 Then SunsetB

If Temp > 80.0 Then OFF

Where SunriseB profile is:

Ramp time: 60

Start intensity: 10

End intensity: 70

MiddayB profile is:

Ramp time: 0

Start intensity: 70

End intensity: 70

And SunsetB profile is:

Ramp time: 60

Start intensity: 70

End intensity: 10

Also, you have to set the var outlet as Auto.

If you are trying to test and ensure things are working, simply create profiles with shorter ramp times intensity etc and program the var outlet to Set <ramp profile name>.

I hope this makes sense.

did you try testing your dimming cable if you built it yourself? turn the war1 and war 2 on then plug in LED, if light is on turn the var 1 and var 2 off, light should tturn off.... if this does not happen your diy cable is wrong. I had this problem at the start, but this test allowed me to ge the right wires and run it. then you need the profiles like mitch said.

I already have the profiles and outlets set. They just have no effect on the lights. I used regular cat5 cables. Is that the issue?

did you try testing your dimming cable if you built it yourself? turn the war1 and war 2 on then plug in LED, if light is on turn the var 1 and var 2 off, light should tturn off.... if this does not happen your diy cable is wrong. I had this problem at the start, but this test allowed me to ge the right wires and run it. then you need the profiles like mitch said.

Also, you have to set the var outlet as Auto.

If you are trying to test and ensure things are working, simply create profiles with shorter ramp times intensity etc and program the var outlet to Set <ramp profile name>.

I hope this makes sense.

what i suspect the issue is, that you have selected the incorrect wires from the cat5 wire bundle. here is the pinout for a standard cat5 cable:

92JZR.gif

I'm going to assume you're using the 1/2 (white/orange and orange). If not, you should be. This cable should be plugged into the V1/V2 cable and you should be using V2 to create your LED outlet. It's kind of confusing that they don't use pin 1 for V1.

look on page 60 of the official APEX guide here to see which pins correspond to which v/1/2/3/4 outlets:

http://www.neptunesystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Comprehensive-Reference-Manual-v1_0.pdf

Let us know how this works and we'll keep troubleshooting. You should also just test your fixture in case. use a 9v battery to the dimmer terminals, and it should be pretty dang bright (90% brightness).

How do I do that? or rather, I dont have a way to do that

Can you measure the wires from the cat5 while its connected to measure the voltage ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you take a voltmeter and put it at the ends of the wire you made and the voltage should correspond to whatever percentage you have set by the apex (i.e., 10% ramp should show 1v, 90% should show 9v). If you dont have a voltage showing, then you either have the wires mapped to the wrong Vx (specifically i think youre probably mapping to v1 instead of v2), or the wires aren't correctly connected inside the cat5 cable. After going through exactly what you are, next time i would just buy the dang cables from apex. :)

just tested my light.... something is weird.

I should be able to turn the LED on/off with variable speed by the 10v signal. When I turn the 10 volt signal on and off the LED doesnt change. Also when no cable is hooked intot he LED it is on full blast which with my DIY when nothing is hooked in they are off because no input signal.

I'm sending nick and email to figure this out.

Archived