BuildMyLED vs T5

Robb in Austin

Howdy all!

Chris, aka Bio3, was kind enough to let me borrow his new BuildMyLED 48" fixture to see what it looks like over a 'real' tank.

Some of us who took the factory tour got to see these fixtures up close and personal, but the tank they have in the office(at that time) only had sand and some rock.

Apparently, they came up with this reef spectrum model based on some input from Bruce at Aquatek. I believe Chris got to see it there and purchased one.

My current setup consists of an Aquactinics TX5, 5 x54W, with the following ATI bulbs:

front to rear

blue +

true actinic

procolor

true actinic

blue +

This is my current setup, pic taken 10/24, with white balance manually set to 15K in GIMP and resized(sorry about the reflections):

post-371-0-64437700-1352434369_thumb.jpg

And here is the BML fixture. This was taken tonight, auto WB in camera, resized only:

post-371-0-23106100-1352434508_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I was just looking at their website. This is just 1 48" light over your 75? How deep is your tank? What do you think of the color? It looks a little "white" to me but nice and bright. I have T5's with my color being really close to yours.

Edited by wesreyn

I assume this is full intensity? Pictures can be so deceiving. I'm with wesreyn, wanting to know what you think of the color up close and personal? It does look a bit white. I ordered a fixture just today so am VERY interested in your thoughts of the custom reef spectrum.

@hall1027; Did you get the same spectrum? If not, you ought to bring yours over when you get the cheato for comparison.

I'd say the light output is similar between the two, with the LED *maybe* being slightly brighter. Although that could be just a color thing.

Decent spread too, but would definitely need two of them for full coverage.

I'd definitely want to be able to control the fixture. As it is, it's a binary light. On/off. My fish freaked when I plugged it in.

I spoke with Nick today at BML.

He is taking care of me... I wish every company had atleast half the customer service and respect of BML. We decided to run the reef spectrum but we pulled 1 white light out of the center and added one more blue to make it just SLIGHTLY more blue than before.

I'll swing by their shop tomorrow and grab my new fixture. I'll try and remember to snap some pics of the lights showing on a wall. This fresh water light and the new reef light, plus any other lights he has around that I can snap pics of :)

All depends on what you plan to keep. 1 led unit with a 90 optic will light the tank.

in my 90 I plan to have 3 lights, 1 in the middle with a 60 optic, 1 in back with 30 one in front with 30. This should blend them all nice and punch how I want it.

What are you wanting to keep in your tank?