Who goes Topless?

SChrisEV

As in with an open top tank?

I have the original glass for my 92g corner tank. I currently have it on the tank, but it's not in great shape, once corner is has the tip broke off, and another part has a chip on the edge. Overall it works I just take case if/when handling it. The biggest thing I don't like is there is a brown plastic strip that used to hold the two pieces together. So you could lift the smaller part to feed etc. Well it not longer hold them together, not a big deal, but it's a long line down the center of the tank. Seems like it will cause some form of shadowing. I've debated having new glass cut for it, it's an odd shape or I'd just do it myself.

Then was wondering do most of you keep the top on or leave it off?

Topless but had screens on my 90g. Nothing on top of the 226g yet but most likely I will.

At MACNA, Marc Levenson made the argument that having high rockwork leads to fish jumping. He said that when a fish is chased it instinctively heads for rockwork and will either swim around the rocks or straight up to lose a pursuer. He said in the wild most reefs stop several feet to yards before the surface, so he believes that having your rockwork go right up to the water level tricks the fish into jumping when they are escaping something by swimming up. He said in the year and a half since he has lowered his rockwork that he has had no jumpers (other than an over-excited fish that jumped into his hands at feeding time).

• Like 1