My official "I got a new camera" pic thread

Sherita

Ok, if you get tired of looking at pics, blame it on Grim......he asked for pics, he's gonna get pics! grin.png

I'm still working out exactly how to make the camera do what I want. Since I'm a visual learner, I just picked it up and started messing around taking pics. I only look something up in the manual if I can't work it out for myself. BTW, there are LOTS of buttons on this thing, and no, I'm not quite sure what they all do. But I'm pretty happy with my pics, so tongue.png on instruction manuals.Oh yea, the camera is a Canon Rebel XTI. I'm shooting with a 35-80mm lens, using a photo barrel. I never planned on going quite this high tech, but I got a steal on the camera, just couldn't pass it up.

acesmicromussa.jpg

area51pectinia.jpg

bambams.jpg

bloodredblastospe.jpg

blueagave.jpg

bluepinwheels.jpg

nice pics! what is the photo barrel you are using?

It's just a 3" black acrylic barrel with a clear acrylic pane on the bottom. It attaches to my lens with three nylon thumbscrews. I like it much better than a photo box because it keeps the stray light away from the lens, which keeps reflections away.

Edit: let me clarify the dimensions. The barrel is 3" in diameter and 6" long.

I made mine. I saw a picture of one on a photo thread a couple years ago, and figured out how to make one. I can make one for you if you want. I just need to know the diameter of the widest part of your lens so I use the right size of acrylic barrel.

I shot those pics using a 35-80 lens, flash off, AWB, intelligent focus. My next purchase is going to be either a 60mm or 100mm macro lens.

Thanks to my local pawn shop, I have a new addiction....my camera. I feel like I got a good deal.........Canon Rebel XTI body, 35-80 lens, 75-300 lens, six filters, stepdown and stepup rings, four batteries, stacked magnification lenses, all for less than $500. And even if it wasn't a good deal, I'm happy with it. So that alone makes it a bargain punk.gif

I know the lens is expensive, but it looks like I can pick one up used in good condition for about $300. Not bad.

I don't shoot through the glass, I've always liked getting up close and personal with the coral pics. I wish the photos were a bit more crisp, I'm hoping the macro lens will help with that. My focal distance should be right, but if not I'll stack it on a macro extension tube.

Thats a pretty good deal I say. I need to get one of these barrels for sure!!! Im completely illiterate when it comes to the mm of the lens. I'll have to look and see what lenses I got so I know what to use, these pics look great!!

Oh my gosh, these frags pictures are awesome....dribble.gif +5 on we all missed you at the frag swap meeting....HEY, lets just have another one at my house next weekend or the weekend after, all those in favor say AYEgrin.png Seriously we could have a get together at my house, I NEED SOME OF THOSE BEAUTIFUL CORALS YOU GOT GIRL. Bring the camera as well and you can give us all a lecture on this and shooting frags...oh my gosh Sherita what you got for sale?

Archived