My official "I got a new camera" pic thread

Sherita

Hi Sherita,

What is this zoa called? It's awesome! Sweet pics btw! I'm jealous... my phone camera is not making the cut.

darthmauls.jpg

BTW, I know you're a zoaholic. Neptune's Cove up in Plano has some pretty sweet zoas... pricey but you're a collector so I just wanted to mention. They will cut single polyp frags while you wait if you are interested. The store doesn't look like much but they have some cool stuff and they keep it pretty updated on their website if you want to check it out ahead of time. I didn't get any discounts on the price for pickup... internet price is walk-in store price but they have some unique stuff if you are a collector. Figured I'd mention since you are heading up to the DFW area anyways. Heard there are some great stores in Arlington which is closer to where you'll be in Ft. Worth.

I'm familiar with Neptune's smile.png A lot of my corals come from zoanthids.com, Gonzos Frags, Coral Kings, High Def Corals, and Kick Azz Corals.

Those are my Darth Mauls.

Oh yea, I also buy from other collectors. It's an addiction, LOL.

I feel ya. Luckily tank capacity has gotten me now so I'm in an exchange mode with one species going out before one new one come's in. Looks like you won't be having a capacity problem with your new tank coming in. Definitely do a tank build thread and keep us in the loop so we can all collectively drool as a group!

-Ty

This tank is replacing the 72g custom in my bedroom. I'm going bigger for one very specific reason.....Achilles Tang. I've wanted one forever, now's my chance.

I've got some major changes going on here. I took one frag system offline, it's being replaced with the shallow frag tank I bought from ReefKoi at MACNA. My 72g is coming down, to be replaced by the 210g. And I have a really weird sized 90g (24x24x36tall) that is also going in my bedroom, I have some really special plans for it........center manmade spire with flow all around, and a boatload of active little fish. It's going to be my "dither" tank.

The 75g predator has already been replaced by a 140g brick rimless.

Imma have a couple of nice systems for sale soon. I sure as heck can't keep them, I have a ton of tanks already sitting around here, LOL.

The top two photos are just the barrel, the lower photo shows it installed on my camera with the 35-80 lens mounted. The white-ish screws you see are nylon, they tighten down on the barrel of the lens, but are soft enough that they don't damage it at all. I can rotate the lens by rotating the barrel.

I'll try to get some more photos to help explain things better. I have a top down photo box as well, but after shooting with the barrel, I just don't use the photobox anymore. Using the barrel has so many benefits, I wish I had been using it all along.

so, is there a lens in there, or is it just a tube?

Just an acrylic tube with nylon thumb screws. Allows what ever lens you want to go below surface and take pics. Easy to build but also cheap to buy and they are awesome from everything I've heard about them.

Maybe this will help :)

photobarrel_1.jpg

photobarrel_2.jpg

photobarrel_3.jpg

And, they are awesome. I will never again use a top down photo box. No more dealing with light reflections or bleed. No more clunky photobox not fitting where I want to take a pic. I positively love my photobarrel. I made mine, they aren't hard at all if you have access to basic tools. The most "unusual" thing you would need is a 1/4" tap. The nylon thumbscrews can be a pain to find, I just eBay for mine. I couldn't find black acrylic tubing, so I use Krylon Fusion spray paint. Once dry it's safe for our tanks. It does get scratched up, but I can always spray another coat on the barrel if I need to.

You might be able to get away with a metal screw to tap that plastic if you ease it in 1/4-1/2 turn then back out to clear the shavings. It's a cheap easy way to tap plastic.

Did you use a weldon product to seal the end or how was that part done :) It looks like a great photo tube. Also just made me realize that if anyone has an old TLF laying around that could be turned into a photo tube very easy!! would be a great used item to repurpose on the cheap.

Acrylic came from Regal plastics. There's one in Austin. I used the 3", be sure to check your lens diameter before buying.

I used Weldon #16 to stick the barrel to the bottom plate, then routed the edge after it dried. If you get a clean enough cut you could use Weldon4. My cut was ragged, so I used the #16 to be sure I didn't have any gaps. Stuck some masking tape over each end, and painted the barrel. Used my drill press to make my screw holes, then tapped them.

You may notice that one of my screws is offset. I needed to do that to stay away from a couple of switches on the lens. You may not need to, depending on your lens.

I will promise you this, once you shoot through a barrel, you will NEVER use a photobox again. Ever.

I already had all the supplies here, and I used leftover scraps, so really it cost me nothing except the 0.99 for the screws. However, the acrylic tubing is expensive, you can only get it in 6' lengths from Regal. But, I remember seeing much shorter pieces on ebay, for a lot less money.

I don't like the size of the porthole. That 7" diameter would be aggravating to me. However, you might find it to be ideal.

Archived