3-D printing with a Cube 3D Printer

chippwalters

That's no joke. Solutions here include using a half face respirator with particulates cartridge hell maybe carbon too, putting the whole unit in a vent hood which has some sort of filtration on the exhaust so you're not poisoning your neighbors, or using the unit outdoors. This will get even more interesting once they start using more common materials (think PVC) that have some very nasty components to them. Thanks for the heads up mike.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mike, Thanks for the link-- something to think about for sure.

I suspect at some level, everything we do is going to kill us. Burn your hamburger on the grill-- you die. Drink too much coffee or cola-- you die. Breathe too much NYC air-- you die. Take too many or too little prescription meds-- you die. Smoke cigs, drink alcohol-- you die.

The problem is understanding exactly how serious the risks are. I do sleep in the next room while my printer 'grows' stuff. Last night it built a new cable clip for my aquarium which clamps to the side of the sump and helps organize all the power cables. Even so, I typically use the printer 2 days every couple weeks-- and the prints are much smaller than the picture in that article-- so I'm hoping I'm OK.

Hi Mike, Thanks for the link-- something to think about for sure.

I suspect at some level, everything we do is going to kill us. Burn your hamburger on the grill-- you die. Drink too much coffee or cola-- you die. Breathe too much NYC air-- you die. Take too many or too little prescription meds-- you die. Smoke cigs, drink alcohol-- you die.

The problem is understanding exactly how serious the risks are. I do sleep in the next room while my printer 'grows' stuff. Last night it built a new cable clip for my aquarium which clamps to the side of the sump and helps organize all the power cables. Even so, I typically use the printer 2 days every couple weeks-- and the prints are much smaller than the picture in that article-- so I'm hoping I'm OK.

I'm curious, did the printer "manual" include any such warnings?

post-2160-13748518061_thumb.jpg

Here's a clip I'm using for cable management on top of my sump. It clamps to the side of the aquarium glass. It's created in three pieces and one print "grow" cycle. Here it's shown on the print bed assembled.

Do you print threads on these as well, or tap them after they're complete?

Earlier in the thread he talked about his new software that does threads like a pro. I think he prints them, infact I've seen a 1/2inch bolt and nut he printed one time when he had it with him and we met at patricks

that snail guard is amazing chipp! THAT i could see an immense need for! lock up that IP ASAP!

Yep. I'm out shopping for my yacht right now. This will be a gold mine!

Any idea where I can get an ascot?

• 3 months later...

Interesting. I have a MIG here at home and I suspect that even with a very precise nozzle, the resolution would be fairly course. All of the impurities in the actual welding create all kinds of pops and bubbles and artifacts.

Interesting. I have a MIG here at home and I suspect that even with a very precise nozzle, the resolution would be fairly course. All of the impurities in the actual welding create all kinds of pops and bubbles and artifacts.

Definitely a first round attempt, but as stated in the article progress can move more quickly after a functional prototype. I think that DIY or inexpensive metal 3d printers will be the thing to revolutionize manufacturing worlwide

Archived