3-D printing with a Cube 3D Printer

chippwalters

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 months later...

Timfish kindly donated some acrylic tubes for a custom reactor. A couple versions are already designed, but my printer head is currently jammed. Anyway, here are a few renders....

Chip, did you end up implementing this? If so, did you implement using ABS? If so, how has it handled the SW environment?

have you tried autodesk 123D?

Yes, a little bit. I'm now using FormZ which is a real solid modeler. They also have a product called Bonzai 3D which is a bit less expensive and works great too.

That's really cool.

Thanks!

Way to stay ahead of the curve! I love seeing technology adapted to the reefing hobby like this! Your idea has so many awesome applications, too.

Been on hold for awhile due to jobs-- but I want to create a shade for my new build my LED actinic fixture.

Timfish kindly donated some acrylic tubes for a custom reactor. A couple versions are already designed, but my printer head is currently jammed. Anyway, here are a few renders....

Chip, did you end up implementing this? If so, did you implement using ABS? If so, how has it handled the SW environment?

I did work on it for awhile, but it's a tedious process even for a solid modeler. Especially since the resolution for basic 3D printers isn't that great. So for instance if you create a 1/2" bolt for a 1/2" nut, it won't work. You need the hole and threads in the nut to be a bit larger-- and it's different for every project. Then of course SketchUp is a surface modeler, and it just adds to the complexity. I did create a logo plate for Timfish last weekend.

Abs or PLA

ABS. Not sure PLA would be good in saltwater. My guess is not.

Abs or PLA

From my readings, I wouldn't think that PLA would be a good plastic to use in a wet environment. Please enlighten if you can.

I thinks you're correct.

Different types of pla have different solubility levels, for prototyping something it is ok extended use...not so much. There are pla based water bottles out there

Did not know that. Do you have a link?

Do u sell those hose clips?

No, but I can make one if you like.

What software do you use for the 3d modeling?

For anyone who's still hanging around, I've since switched to FormZ. It has a great automatated screw thread generator and is also a solid modeler (not a surface modeler like SketchUp) which makes things considerably easier.

What software do you use for the 3d modeling?

For anyone who's still hanging around, I've since switched to FormZ. It has a great automatated screw thread generator and is also a solid modeler (not a surface modeler like SketchUp) which makes things considerably easier.

How much does the software cost? and renewal fees?

You can get the latest release of Bonzai 3D, which does just about everything you need except screw threads for $395, but the full FormZ package runs $995. Haven't yet heard of any 'renewal fees' though upgrading from the previous version is $295. Runs on both Mac and PCs.

So, if you get the latest Cube printer ($1299) and FormZ it will set you back around $2,300.

BTW, Some of the Staples are starting to sell the Cube printer:

http://www.staples.com/Cube-3D-Printers/product_SS2044291

http://3d-printers.toptenreviews.com/evolution-review.html

FWIW, Everyone wants something different from their 3-D printer. If you are a hobbyist and like to tinker with machines then perhaps one of the DIY models are better like Makerbot.

Makerbot also has a very active user community--Something which Cubify does not.

But if you're looking for a 3-D printer which is a sheer commodity device with few hassles in setting up and printing, it's hard to beat the Cubify solutions.

From my experience, they execute and rarely need any sort of maintenance or adjustments. Your mileage may vary.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived