I thought y'all might dig this. I set-up this tank at Butterfly Bar in east Austin. It is part of a promotional tank tour I am doing with Fish Gallery for the new Austin store.

I just set it up so it is cloudy and the fish is still freaked out. It is such a nice specimen. I sorta want him when the tour is over. We named him Gill Murray. It is a 47 tall. I am really happy with the rock work. This tank is going to be set up wherever we have our meetups.

I'll try to post some better pictures once the water clears up and he acclimates a little more.

post-1439-0-47513500-1349754108_thumb.jp

post-1439-0-06694000-1349754152_thumb.jp

post-1439-0-80183700-1349754171_thumb.jp

FG I think gets them custom from a shop in dallas. If you're interested I'll get the shops contact info.

I went back to check on Gill Murray today. That's a good looking Frontosa. I might buy him after the tour is done...

Can y'all think of some other fish that could work in there that he won't tear apart? He's a big fish but there is still room for some dithers.

so how does the tank tour work? does FG place tanks in bars across austin then you host your drinking day at each bar in order and let people see them that way?

either way it's a nice looking FW setup. and I dont say that often.

That is high praise indeed.

Yep, we'll move it to the next place where we are having meetups. We are doing it again at Butterfly Bar to thank them for hosting last time. November will be in a different place and we'll move the tank there. And so on and so on. If people tweet for their bar/store/office #gillmurray to @fgflow we'll bring the tank to them.

Plus it's good for the business. We tell people where the tank is so they can go check it out. So the business should get some extra visitors. We'll change the tank up now and then so it doesn't get boring. If it is popular we'll keep doing it for as long as people want to hang out with Gill Murray. :)

FG I think gets them custom from a shop in dallas. If you're interested I'll get the shops contact info.

I went back to check on Gill Murray today. That's a good looking Frontosa. I might buy him after the tour is done...

Can y'all think of some other fish that could work in there that he won't tear apart? He's a big fish but there is still room for some dithers.

Fronts go well with Altolamprologus Calvus and Petricola catfish. They are all from Lake Tanganyika. I used to keep a school of Frontosa Moba in a 210 gallon rift lake tank. Very fun fish to keep with lots of individual personality.

Good call on the cats and calvus!! I'll ask Sarah to bring some with her at the next meetup. I've heard congo tetras make good dither fish.

I wasn't big on fronties before, I've been in new world cichlids but this guy is awesome. I'm looking around my house trying to figure out where to put a 210. Do they have cool behavior in groups?

Good call on the cats and calvus!! I'll ask Sarah to bring some with her at the next meetup. I've heard congo tetras make good dither fish.

I wasn't big on fronties before, I've been in new world cichlids but this guy is awesome. I'm looking around my house trying to figure out where to put a 210. Do they have cool behavior in groups?

In my research, it is definitely preferred to give them lots of space. They can grow to ~14". They are also a deep water species so don't like a lot of bright light. They are a schooling fish so I guess they prefer to be in groups where they establish hierarchies. Also, there are quite a few variants of fronts many of which aren't readily available and are expensive. I can't really tell what variant you have there, but do a little searching around and asking on frontosa forums. There is a lot of info about them and passionate people who keep them. They might be able to tell you what that is and could point you in the right direction as far as proper care. But, to answer your question, yes they are very cool in groups and might eat a fish that can fit in their mouth, usually at night.

Thanks, great info. As much as I want to keep him I'll probably get him back to the store a real frontosa enthusiast can have him. He is a rarer variety, I'll have to find out which one. Thanks for the heads up on the lights. He has plenty of hiding places but I will adjust the lights so they are less direct. Hopefully having him out there on tour will get a few more people into the hobby and make some new frontosa nerds.

I hope some of you can make it out to the social on the 25th and you can see him in person!

recommend other african cichlids frontosas are fairly docile with other africans.... we breed them and have our fronts in with dolphins, red top hongi, christmas fulus and a few others.... due to their size they dont tend to be as aggressive the smaller africans like Labs, acei, and other mbunas would be good they arent too aggressive and have respect for the shear size of the frontosa to not bully them or at least ours dont... Our frontosa are Burundi frontosas

Oh some dolphins would be awesome in there. I never thought of it like that, that they don't need to be as aggressive since they command respect due to their size. I just know of so many mesoamerican cichlids that are huge murderous beasts, which I guess I was projecting onto the frontosa.

Went to visit #gillmurray and he is doing very well. it was pretty sweet to grab a glass of red wine at the bar and chill out with him. i gave him some krill as a treat. I did not partake in krill, just pinot noir.

post-1439-0-16389700-1350098144_thumb.jp

post-1439-0-59703200-1350098196_thumb.jp

post-1439-0-40828000-1350098380_thumb.jp

post-1439-0-28748800-1350098424_thumb.jp

post-1439-0-40059500-1350098656_thumb.jp

post-1439-0-28679600-1350098719_thumb.jp

post-1439-0-93108800-1350098820_thumb.jp

post-1439-0-51917600-1350098836_thumb.jp

post-1439-0-54596100-1350098852_thumb.jp

post-1439-0-73561100-1350098867_thumb.jp

post-1439-0-14111900-1350098884_thumb.jp

Archived