came home with this nice piece

Bannerfish

I've had some of very similar color and origin that I've had a heck of a time keeping from browning. I definitely want to see how this is looking in a month or two. Hopefully you have a better time keeping color than I have had but it looks like a very nice piece.

Why do people get mad about it being wild?

Its normal for most new sps to brown out when I first add them to the tank so I'm expecting this one to do the same, prob for a few months as I'm sure its been through allot during its journey to my tank. So far only the blue digi has stayed brown :/ they'll start coloring back up after a month or so. But they were all fragged several generations so we'll see. I'll be fragging it after it settles in a bit

Brown is the simbiotic zooxanthellae growing. To keep the colors pale you will have to do something to restrict the corals ability to grow them, either some kind of ultra low nutrient approach or low light. To be honest the coral looks like it bleached to me.

Oh well if someone gets mad about my wild piece. It is what it is, I won't lie about it to keep people off my back. I mean I try to get frags whenever I can but that's not always possible. I've never seen anyone get mad when they're talking about all the wild lps that comes in lol.

Myself I would not try to keep thses colors but would let it grow it's brown zooxanthellae. Research is showing many of the pigments a coral makes is to protect itself from intense light1. What Intense lighting does is stimulate the coral to produce more pigments giving the coral brighter colors. In the case of florescing pigments many if not all are sensitive to just one wavelength. With low nutrient systems the colors are further manipulated by restricting the corals ability to grow zooxanthellae so the colors are seen against a much lighter tan or white background rather than the normal brown. Bear in mind that while the waters around reefs do not show much in the way of disolved nutrients there are actually high levels of nutrients in the way of particulates and plankton. The picture is much more complex than this as nutrition and trace elements play a part as does the lighting spectrum and there is a TON more research to do.

1 http://jeb.biologists.org/content/213/21/3644.full

Hi,

Thats a nice colony, it's probably gonna end up being a nice deeper blue. Wild colonies are kinda fickle sometimes, many require stable, pristine water condition's and that doesn't guarantee success with wild colonies ime. Good luck bro. YMMV

Cheers,