Sick Bubble Tip Anemone?

Barry and Cindy

Hoping someone can help us figure out if we have an issue with our anemone. We bought it about 3 weeks ago and placed it in the tank. First day was great and then it moved into a cave. Came out fairly regularly and spread out - looked really good. Last week it started staying in the cave - not coming out at all but still expanding. Over the weekend it has stayed kind of shriveled and has brown stuff coming out. It looks pretty bad but I knwo when they purge it's not pretty :-).

We have 2 other anemones - another bubble and a condy and both seem perfectly fine. Tank is 215 gallons and we are runnning AIs and water parameters have been spot on. We're keeping calcium between 440-460 and alk between 8-10.

I posted a couple of pictures - a little hard to see but was hoping it was enough for someone to help us figrue out what is going on.

Thanks

post-2543-0-50729300-1343687389_thumb.jp

post-2543-0-61373300-1343687390_thumb.jp

Sorry to see you are having problems. The only two things I would do is water changes and/or run carbon. Even though an animal initially may look ok it can still take weeks for it to acclimate or settle in and unfortunate as it is sometimes they decide they don't like the new digs and it probably isn't anything you are doing wrong. It's even more frustrating when when you have one split and one decides to shrivel up and bleach out while the other twin is fine. hmm.png

He's looking really rough. I would definitely keep a close eye on him.

He's still attached which is a good sign. Without food or light, there's not much chance if he doesn't move soon. I would definitely see if you can get him eating anything. Otherwise make sure the water params are good, run carbon, and hope for the best.

It's definetly not good for the tank if it dies but my experience has been it will cause more algae on the glass and little risk of actually causing a problem that would affect the rest of your animals. A mistake I have made in the far distant past is to try to scoop a dead anemonie out with a net or cup. This invariably spreads it around the tank. Much better to either syphon it out (ideal) or just leave it in place undisturbed and monitor your tank. Here's a thread on a plroblem I had a few months ago: http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/22733-well-i-just-dont-know

Its not looking great, but they can have moments of looking v bad. How long has it been looking like that?

I'd give it a chance and see what happens. They're not especially toxic or anything if they die, mostly just water! In a tank as big as yours it probably wouldn't really notice.

My basic rule about anemones: they will do whatever you least want them to do. Having company over? Expect them to look extra terrible for no reason (besides wanting to embarrass you). Bought a new clown for an anemone you have and love? Expect it to close for 2 days straight.

Basically, what I am trying to say is, they are pretty temperamental, sometimes, for what we see as no "evident" reason. I would say +1 on the water change; sometimes, the animals in your tank can adapt to conditions that may be sub-par, where as a new addition will react almost immediately. Check the parameters, and do a small change.

Also, if its possible, attempt to rotate the rock, and see if he stays put on top of it: in the cave without light he won't last long. If you cant rotate, you can blast w/ a power head to get it to move. While anemones move in order to find perfect conditions, occasionally they are just stubborn and stay in a spot where they are actually not happy.

Good luck!

• Like 2