175g Deep Sea tank

Jimbo662

Well, the build portion is pretty much done. Just need to work on organizing all the wires now. Hopefully it will be ready for inhabitants in a week or so. Now that I have the lights on I was able to see spots where I hadn't cleaned the glass...that's why it's a little cloudy.

post-2872-0-65320800-1348948978_thumb.jp

post-2872-0-04747000-1348948994_thumb.jp

post-2872-0-31861000-1348949007_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Well, so far so good. I moved a clown each on Thur & Fri. Today I moved my polyps. Even though we had a slight accident they seem to be very happy already! I'd put the bag in the water to start acclimating them and went off to do some other stuff. I came back 15-20 min later and apparently hadn't secured it well enough to the side and I guess the currents sunk it...don't know how long it had been under. Within about two hours they've all come back out.

post-2872-0-15949400-1349647053_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I finally installed the skimmer last night around 8:30. After several tries I think I got the level right. Everyone says it normally takes several days to break them in. Can it happen faster? This is what I saw this morning.

post-2872-0-00835200-1350823840_thumb.jp

I just realized I forgot to post an update from last week (I'd started a thread in another section). I'd bought two bengaii cardinals, a sailfin tang and a hammer last Sunday. By Monday morning the male cardinal was dead. When i got home from work the female was dead and the hammer had pretty much dissolved. I tested everything and all readings were normal. I took a water sample back to the store on Thursday and all tests were showing normal EXCEPT the salinity. She tested 3 times and every on came back 1.044! Who knows how the clowns and tang were surviving but they seem to be thriving and eating well. I came back home and tested my refractometer and re-calibrated it and I was still getting 1.025. I'd bought this in mid Sept because I'd broken the plastic cover off my original one. I'd been using it from the beginning of filling the tank. Luckily I hadn't thrown the old one away yet. I tested with it and sure enough I got the same crazy reading the store was getting. I'm now in the process of slowing reducing the salinity. Lesson learned here...always double check new equipment before getting rid of the old stuff. Luckily Friday was the last day to request a return so that sucker is already on it's way back!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, it's slowly making progress. Picked up a great frogspawn today from Juiceman and a hulk ricrodea from Chad and Belinda. Waiting to pick up a warpaint scoly from Texasnano. Friday I picked up a nice little torch from Aquatek. I'm hoping to get a macro lens this week so I can get some better pics of everything.