175g Deep Sea tank

Jimbo662

Woohoo!!! Water test successful!!! After about 20 min of tweaking I got the return and drains to sync up and maintain water level! As I was watching I started wondering...I've got two down facing drain and one up facing overflow. When I plumbed them I connected the overflow with one of the regular drains and put the second overflow on it's own. Is this correct or should i connect the two drains together and put the overflow on it's own?

I ordered the rest of my sand from the Drs and it shipped today. I may have it ready to start cycling this weekend!!!

I think the redundancy of two drains is a huge benefit in terms of safety. For example, one of your drains gets clogged with something. You still have one functioning drain that you would not have if your drains were manifolded together.

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel! I ended up with a couple of tiny leaks in the plumbing so spent the last two day getting those fixed. Started filling the tank at 7pm last night with RO water...OMG this is going to take for ever...as of now there's about 3" of water in the tank. I figured this would be better than 4 trips to RCA and hauling water to the house...gas and tolls would have been a whole lot more expensive. I picked up a couple of pieces of birch plywood for mounting equipment and my sand was delivered Friday! Got 12 bags to go along with the 6 I picked up last week.

post-2872-0-18429100-1347218951_thumb.jp

post-2872-0-52639900-1347218963_thumb.jp

post-2872-0-78724600-1347218973_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks SCEV.

Ok everybody...I need some advise. This past weekend I got it all loaded up with sand and rock and got it running. I did a test to see what happens if the power went out. When I turned the pump back on I'm not able to bet a full siphon going. I've got the two main drains facing down and the one emergency overflow sticking straight up. What am I missing here?

No tiny hole "yet". I'd been wondering if I needed to do that but didn't know if it would pull in too much air. Yes, using the bean animal overflow.

Do you think it would work if i removed the elbows, added a T with a cap on top and put the downward elbow back?

I use the bean animal setup too, and when I first

set it up I had the same issue. After running a few

hours it settled in. Then, after a few weeks, it slimed up

and I have no issues now.

I'd leave the design alone.

For my siphon break, I just let my return line serve as it. I have it positioned such

that it's about 1" under the surface.