Uh oh. Aiptasia.

Bpb

As some of you may know. I picked up a mature stocked reef tank earlier this summer. It is a 55 gallon with sump and refugium, and came with some zoas and a brain coral. For the past several months, I've seen a whole array of different colored and size feather dusters amongst the rock work. All harmless, and some very pretty. There is one critter that looked like a feather duster sticking right out of a zoa colony. It has gotten a little bigger over the months.

Well I assumed it was another feather duster and ignored it, however after just browsing some reef forums and looking at pictures I am 100% certain it is a lone aiptasia anemone. I have looked very closely and believe it to be the only one. As tempting as it is to just take some scissors and cut it off at the base, I know that won't work and it will spread.

I looked into some eradication methods and think that lemon juice injection is my best bet to kill it quickly and prevent it from spreading. Any one have experience doing this? I don't want to harm the zoa colony that surrounds its foot so this one will be tough to kill without having any casualties of war. I have access to syringes and long, tiny spinal tap needles, as I work in a hospital. Hopefully I can inject accurately.

Wish me luck!

That looks pretty cool. I live quite a ways away but if lemon juice doesn't work, I'll definitely see if I can arrange something. This little guy is nestled in a dense little patch of healthy zoas so I'm afraid to hurt them. I don't have a lot if coral in this tank so I don't want to kill what little I started with. I'll try to snap a pic tomorrow or Friday when the lights are on and everyone is all opened up. Luckily it's on a small rock so I can remove it and perform the procedure in a bucket if needed.

The nice thing about the wand is that the tip is like a very large needle. Unlike kalk paste or other methods, this allows you to plunge the tip directly into the aiptasia and not affect the surround corals. Watch the video and you'll see what I'm saying.

And dapettit lives up north, so assuming it's not currently loaned out it wouldn't be that far from you.

The nice thing about the wand is that the tip is like a very large needle. Unlike kalk paste or other methods, this allows you to plunge the tip directly into the aiptasia and not affect the surround corals. Watch the video and you'll see what I'm saying.

And dapettit lives up north, so assuming it's not currently loaned out it wouldn't be that far from you.

Using a wand in the past they can damage coral, I was extremely careful but it still managed to damage a coral when the aptasia started to die it hooked the coral and they both hit the wand.

I appreciate the replies everyone. I will try to take a crack at the wand if the lemon juice doesn't work. Anyone have experience with lemon? The YouTube videos I saw were pretty convincing. Some say lemon concentrate in the plastic lemon bottle may have other junk in it. Would actual lemon juice from the fruit not be strong enough?

i have read home methods are lemon juice as well as hydrogen peroxide. i have used peroxide for gha and it works miracles but makes corals close, and xenia pulse so fast they look like they will explode. havent tried lemon juise but im down to try it if someone else goes first...

Got around to injecting with lemon juice. I kind of touched the surrounding zoas to get them to close up so I could see the aiptasia better. Once it was kind of isolated I stabbed it in the mouth with the needle and injected about 0.2 ml. It closed up, but I could see its foot so I stabbed again and hit it with another shot. The zoas are VERY unhappy and are closed up tight. Hopefully they bounce back. I also have noticed there is a white sponge growing on the base of the same rock, and now that everything is closed up, it looks like its trying to grow onto the zoa colony. Ill watch closely and if it starts smothering them I'm gonna just torch the whole rock. Hate to kill corals but may have to.

For those who were waiting for my results as the lemon juice guinea pig, all my zoas have opened back up and the lone aiptasia has passed onto the other side so to speak. I'll keep an eye out, and hopefully the issue is dead. Unless I update otherwise, lemon juice concentrate, from the plastic lemon at the grocery store successfully worked. No deaths or negative side effects other than those that were intended

For those who were waiting for my results as the lemon juice guinea pig, all my zoas have opened back up and the lone aiptasia has passed onto the other side so to speak. I'll keep an eye out, and hopefully the issue is dead. Unless I update otherwise, lemon juice concentrate, from the plastic lemon at the grocery store successfully worked. No deaths or negative side effects other than those that were intended

Cool, congrats and thanks for the info. Do you have any shrimp or other crustaceans that wandered into the area?

Hermit crabs and snails were nearby, as well as a flower anemone and the zoas the aiptasia was footed amongst. No ill effects. Zoas actually look better than before. Probably because they aren't getting stung anymore. I was worried about the turbo snail that was closest but he is fine. Cruising around as we speak eating nori

I've injected with lemon juice in a fully stocked tank. It worked like a charm with no side affects to anything else in the tank. Very easy to do. Syringe+lemon juice+aptasia= no more aptasia. If I could figure out how to get into my old laptop I would post a vid for you. It's nothing to stress over, just make sure your injecting the anemone And not just spraying a bunch of juice around in the tank.