Heater exploded 1 year ago coral won't grow

bige

So about a year or so ago my heater exploded, fire, boiling water etc. So long story short, my coral won't grow. It looks alive but barely. These are all coral added 6 months after the heater explosion. After the heater exploded I ran tons of carbon changing every few days. Also ran the seachem heavy metal remover. But now my coral are deflated or lost all color.

My water is text book spot on. Everything steady with no spikes.

So any suggestions? Anyone know a chemist that can test the water for mercury or copper? Or anything else it might be. Thanks.

I would bet it's a metal contamination issue. It's expensive to test for metals in small concentrations. The over the counter copper tests will only show in PPM and copper can be toxic in PPB. It's also pretty much impossible to remove metals from rocks and silicon sealant.

Do you keep any other inverts in the tank?

Well after it exploded all inverts died. Then after 8 months I was finally able to keep a cleaner shrimp.

So yes I have a cleaner shrimp but cannot keep a snail or hermit. This is what lead me to think its heavy metal. Should I just buy more heavy metal remover and just let it run?

I had a clip on light that fell into my sump. I believe it caused metals to be leached into the tank. It took about a year with heavy duty water changes to bring it back around. I feel your pain.

I had a clip on light that fell into my sump. I believe it caused metals to be leached into the tank. It took about a year with heavy duty water changes to bring it back around. I feel your pain.

I literally hate my tank. I have been so patient but come on. I may try some heavy metal remover but I've heard it won't come out of rocks or silicone.

This is pretty frustrating. At this point I would be considering replacing the rock and the sand. I don't know how much the silicone would absorb but I would exect much higher levels are in the substrate under the rocks and in the rocks. If you move some of the rocks you can see how much gunk gets trapped uder them. You might try first pulling out all the rock and remove all the substrate and put the rock back in with new sand.

I actually got rid of the sand once. Right after it happened. Then replaced it. But changing it again isn't too bad. I might just take the tank down and put it back up with new rock and sand. I mean if it looks terrible anyway...

Copper in its metallic form in your tank for a few hours is not going to cause copper poisoning. It needs to oxidize, to "solubilize", only then will it be in its toxic form. Also any heavy metals that have been in your tank that long should have been absorbed by your aragonite, a form of calcium carbonate (CACO3) that readily swaps out its calcium atoms in favor of heavy metals, locking them into a solid form. But if the exposed heater was in there for a day or so. Then yeah, you are screwed. Did you change your rocks yet?