Best Color Temp for Chaeto in Sump?

George Monnat Jr

I had an Aqueon dual T5 flourescent 24" fixture (1x 14W 6700K & 1x 14W ColorMax, 28W optical) from my old 20 gallon FOWLR over my sump, but it was too long and was making microalgae grow in undesirable places like my return line hoses. Last Saturday I replaced the dual-T5 fixture with a single 75W, 5100K, PAR38 CFL. I chose that particular bulb, because this article claims that the 5100K is better than a 2700K or 6500K CFL for growing Chaetomorpha (I've got chaeto in my sump). Some on RC claim 6500K is better. Does anyone have empirical evidence for a preferred bulb or color temp?

Just curios are you having a hard time getting it to actually grow? Mine never grew until I started tumbling it and cutting it up every week or two. The more I feed the tank the better it grows! Good for me cause I love feeding the fish wink.png

It grows slowly. I'm hoping that's because it's downstream of my skimmer. I like to feed, too, and I want the chaeto to export nutrients and let me know when I'm feeding too much. Especially when I finally get the Anthias I'm waiting on and will need to feed 2-3 times a day.

I found this 6500K bulb on Amazon. I might just stick a 2nd fixture next to the 1st (simple DIY in cabinet above sump - good thing it doesn't need to be pretty).

Ahh. I shut my skimmer off after a few weeks of putting the fuge together. Haven't used it in weeks now, I love not having the skimmer on! I have some small chunks of calurpa and some red macro that I just stuck in there but I'm pretty surethe chaeto is sucking out all the nutrients. Now that the chaeto seems established both nitrate and phosphate in this heavily fed tank are unreadable. Its a super simple setup and I don't have to buy any media or nothing. Sps and my clam are doing great, everything looks good, no nuisance algae, if the tank is happy means I'm happy :)

• Like 1

I went to the article and was surprised to see the original light socket from the clamp on kit in the refugium. While I use these bulbs and the clamp kits, I do not put that cheap socket in the dampness of the refugium area. For $4 more, replace socket with damp proof pigtail sockets at Lowes/Home Depot.

If anybody knows Melvin, they may want to point that electrical problem out to him.

Patrick

• Like 1