75 Gal. Build!

DragonDiver

Finally got my dream tank! Sorry about pic quality, from my phone. I decided to post this a little early so I could get some opinions on what I should do. One big thing is I'm debating whether or not I should buy an led fixture or just make my own, which is cheaper. I also need help with the overflows, should it be two overflows and 1 return? how far apart? Any help you7 give would be greatly appreciated!

post-2350-0-47664000-1334466620_thumb.jp

With a 4' long tank, I do not think two overflows are necessary are desirable. Of course DIY is cheaper on the LED's, not always better. Talk with knowledgable, experienced people: Timfish and Mike Smith come to mind.

In my opinion, lighting is secondary. It is more important to decide on nutriant processing. I like multiple nutriant exchange pathways. If you do not plan for this, get ready to deal with the mico algae.

Patrick

1st: pick a wall that has plenty of power outlets to supply the tank with ample power and maybe 2 extras for later in case you ever want to add anything. MMM then if the tank isnt drilled for Reef Ready then i would do that if your planning on a sump. Next depending on how handy you are i would Euro Brace the top of the tank and get rid of the center brace (JMO)....those are a few thing to get started with. As far as LEDs, IDK about them. I have 2x400W MH, 8x54W T5HOs, and 2x48" VHOs. Everything is up to your descretion. And as far as overflows, man i wish i could talk you into and external box build on the back of tank but thats ALOT of work. I think since i had a 120G 48x24x24 and the box was off to the left side center, i think if you removed the center brace it would be good centered 1" drain, 3/4" return with a mag12 pump. These are JMOs im NO professional but hopefully this helps.

Do you already have the skimmer? In my opinion, the skimmer and the refugium do not match up. What do you think the refugium will do for you? Does your refugium have lights for growing macro? Just a few questions that you should have thought about before adding water.

You have received good advice about the overflow and making your tank reef ready from the beginning. With respect to making decisions about lighting, you could run for 6 months on reduced or no lighting. I am trying to slow you down so that you can think about what you want as your biotheme. When you select your biotheme, then you get the appropiate equipment.

Patrick

I think Patrick is asking what you are planing on putting in the tank.

ohhhh gotcha kinda got confused there, Well I was mainly hoping to grow some macro to feed a tang I plan to have, probably ulva or red graciliera

Hey dragondiver, what do you want though? SPS, softies, FOWLR, etc. that way people can give advice accordingly. If you're gonna just get one small tang and attempt to grow seaweed to feed him that is one thing but let's say you want it to be a mixed reef that is another thing completely

If done right, a refugium will feed more than a tang with macro. It will process nutriants to feed back to the tank, micro fauna and fana as well as phytoplankton. This will grow your corals and filter feeders.

Patrick

You may still need to run carbon and GFO. GFO is great for reducing PO4. Most nutrient control methods are very good at reducing NO3, but not so much for PO4. You will just need to monitor and see how effective it is.

As far as carbon goes, one of its main purposes in a reef tank is to remove toxins and other compounds introduced by corals. Many coral use forms of chemical warfare to compete or defend against other coral. Carbon is a good way of keeping this in check. If you are keeping soft corals like xenias, leathers, or tree type coral, I would consider this essential no matter how your filtration is setup.

You may still need to run carbon and GFO. GFO is great for reducing PO4. Most nutrient control methods are very good at reducing NO3, but not so much for PO4. You will just need to monitor and see how effective it is.

Many coral use forms of chemical warfare to compete or defend against other coral. Carbon is a good way of keeping this in check. .

Yeah probably want to run carbon and gfo haha that sounds like it could get dicey! :blink:

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

If you have the money, dimable is the way to go. These lights will last a lifetime if run at reduced capacity.

With respect to chemical media, always use activated carbon. With respect to phosphate removal resin, while I have it, I do not use it. The macro uptakes phosphate. If you have high phosphates and the macro is not growing profusely, then refugium lights may be too weak or sometimes iron is the limiting nutriant and needs to be dosed to kick stat nutriant uptake.

In my 10G refugiums, I have 100W of clip on PC bulbs.

In my opinion, you have purchased the perfect size tank to develope. Not too big, not to small, just right.

Come on out to the frag swap this Saturday. It will last from noon until the cows come home.

Patrick

Yeah I really want to! Its the first Saturday of the year I havent had a lacrosse game so I will definitely try,my dads doing a photoshoot in San Marcos so Ill probably ride down there with him!

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys! sorry I haven't updated in a while honestly nothing to really update about haha, finally got a skimmer from Chris (0ozarkawater) and just ordered the ro/di unit plus salt and some carbon from BRS. I am going to be running the Chinese LED's that jakedoza used due to the reduced cost and from what I hear good performance, they are alot smaller in person! Anyways just wanted to drop by and update the post will post pics of the skimmer tommorow, will probably have to upgrade stand and sump due to the size but I have plenty of spare tanks around I'm sure i can figure out something. Have a job so I have some income trickling in finally. (I'm a lifeguard)! sorry about the long post just had to get that all out of my system! dribble.gif

Its A DNW 150 Reef Octopus recirculating Skimmer goes for about 278 online got a sweet deal on it! Looked at this thing in the box and its pretty big but thats probably just me haha

post-2350-134039150798_thumb.jpg this is the whole skimmer The only thing that I didnt follow instructions for was the water outlet pipe as the pipe it tells me to use adds a good 8inches and I have to be able to fit this inside my sump! post-2350-134039159945_thumb.jpg this is the water inlet notsure if it is good or messed up because the picture for it shows a nozzle on the end but I dont have one so yeah!

Edited by DragonDiver