Fish Idea

migs

I have a well established 57 g and I am look for ideas for my next fish... looking for something rare and unique. I currently hava a clown fish, a yellow assesor, a purple firefish, and a red scooter blenny... the tank has shrimp, lps, sps, and clams... and ideas or suggestions are welcomed!

yes, I had a flame angel in my 135 and never had a problem

That is misleading information. Just because your Flame Angel didn't nip on anything doesn't mean the next one won't. It is really hit or miss on whether they will nip on corals or not. My Coral Beauty nips on my SPS and LPS.

Edited by wesreyn

yeah the angel would occasionally pick at algae around corals and sometimes at a coral, but it never seemed to do it with much intent, more like curiosity or impulse, never enough to cause any visual damage to any of my corals. overall I still think it's reef safe. Not like a trigger or anything

With regards to dwarf angels being reef safe I've talked to a couple of individuals over the years that pretty clearly had dwarf angels that ate corals. I've also seen a Coral Beauty that systematically was taking out the other fish in a 140 reef system. My own experiences has been they are excellent additions to reef systems and I usually will put two to four different species together in a tank. I have on one occasion seen a Coral Beauty eat a damaged Frogspawn polyp, it was in the tank at least a couple of years prior to this event and it did not eat any of the healthy polyps then and is still in the system and is quite well behaved (this behaviour is arguably benificial as it's reducing the possibility of a damaged polyp becoming diseased and infecting the polyps around it). Many times I've had clients in concern point to dwarfs behavior of picking at the surface of a coral but when closely observed what was actually happening was it was picking at stuff on the surface of the coral and not actually eating the coral, after the fish swam off there was no discernable damage to the coral. The fact the fish swam off after one or two "nibbles" also indicates it was not eating the coral as it would have stayed in place and kept ripping off pieces of the coral.

The problems I have run into is once a dwarf angel or group of angels gets established it is impossible to add an additional one. As they are sequential hermaphrodites if two of the same species are added a pair is certain to develop and if there were any other species added the pair will most likely try to take them out, this has happened to me in very big tanks of many hundreds of gallons. And as always you can get a very aggressive one that doesn't want to share it's tank with anybody.

I've only had my coral beauty for a few weeks and it nibbles and nips at everything. It is always on the prowl. So far it has not munched on the gorgs or zoas but that behavior would not come as a surprise to me. It demolished the algae in my tank, macro and the little bit of hair, in a week. It does get in between this and that, so what Tim was saying makes sense to me. A munched coral wouldn't be shocking to me if I was being skimpy on food. Can't speak for all coral beauties but this one seems always hungry.

So far, the coral beauty has not bothered the clowns and the clowns have not bothered the coral beauty, they ignore each other. The one thing the coral beauty picks on is the decorator crab, but then again it has glued algae to itself so it is kind of his own fault. biggrin.png

Overall, I'm liking mine so far. It is a swimmer and goes in all the nooks and crannies between the rocks. It is a graceful fish with pretty colors and brought some needed movement to the tank.

I love any fish that adds activity to the tank mostly. I like gobies and stuff too as long as they don't create a dust storm. What I'm doing with my 125 is getting several little different colored damsels that aren't too aggressive and putting them in there, along with my "show piece"fish that us the only large one in the tank. theres also a black finned shrimp goby, six line wrasse, a well behaved coral beauty, and I think a strawberry-something goby? I forgot what the name was, maybe phamily can remind me lol. I like the activity of all the little fish interacting with each other....

If it were mine I'd prob try an eel of some sort, or some of the beautiful wrasses. They have a pretty nice selection of wrasses in austin. I saw some real cute boxfish last time I was there, but they're supposedly not invertebrate-safe...i almost bought a heni. Singularis butterflyfish that day too, I had never seen one in person, he was so beautiful and unusual!

How about this? dribble.gif

http://www.liveaquar...3+3&ddid=150829

Porter's Angelfish are cool and pretty hard to come by.

Did you mean Potter's Angelfish? If so, yes they are really different in coloring ... Aqua-Dome has them in stock frequently. I have always wanted one, but had a clam in my tank and did not want to risk it. Now that I am clamm-less, I think they are high on my list again.

I've tried 2 flame angels and both of them munched on acans and any montipora in the tank. I'm 110% positive that it was eating coral and not just picking around it. The one I recently pulled out of my tank ate a hole in a large colony of acans and alomst ate entire acan frags that I have too. It picked on my montiporas so much they are barely starting to polyp out again and the fish has been out since friday. I really wanted this to work but now I'm on my second one....probably going to give up. Maybe my tank is like an irrestibile buffet for them, I'm not sure. I do have a coral beauty that is perfectly behaved, and I've had a swallow tail angel and bellus angel that didn't pick on anything either. Luck of the draw really.

I would suggest an eel for something different. Snowflake, zebra, and dwarf eels are considered fish and coral safe by most people. I have a huge zebra eel in my reef tank and its always a conversation piece to say the least. At first I would have never considered because I had a few shrimp and crabs in the tank. After thinking about it more I decided that a 2' long eel was waaaay cooler than a couple of shrimps. Not having a few shrimps opened me up to having more fish that I wouldn't consider before, like a harlequin tusk for example. I wouldn't suggest a 2' eel for a 57 gallon but snowflakes for example come in pretty small and the dwarf eels are really small, so small that they are invert safe too. I keep a pair of them in a 55 gallon with a pair of fire shrimp and a CB shrimp with no worries.

I've tried 2 flame angels and both of them munched on acans and any montipora in the tank. I'm 110% positive that it was eating coral and not just picking around it. The one I recently pulled out of my tank ate a hole in a large colony of acans and alomst ate entire acan frags that I have too. It picked on my montiporas so much they are barely starting to polyp out again and the fish has been out since friday. I really wanted this to work but now I'm on my second one....probably going to give up. Maybe my tank is like an irrestibile buffet for them, I'm not sure. I do have a coral beauty that is perfectly behaved, and I've had a swallow tail angel and bellus angel that didn't pick on anything either. Luck of the draw really.

I would suggest an eel for something different. Snowflake, zebra, and dwarf eels are considered fish and coral safe by most people. I have a huge zebra eel in my reef tank and its always a conversation piece to say the least. At first I would have never considered because I had a few shrimp and crabs in the tank. After thinking about it more I decided that a 2' long eel was waaaay cooler than a couple of shrimps. Not having a few shrimps opened me up to having more fish that I wouldn't consider before, like a harlequin tusk for example. I wouldn't suggest a 2' eel for a 57 gallon but snowflakes for example come in pretty small and the dwarf eels are really small, so small that they are invert safe too. I keep a pair of them in a 55 gallon with a pair of fire shrimp and a CB shrimp with no worries.

I agree that eels are pretty cool, but you have to make sure your aquarium is adapted for them since they like to try and explore the rest of your room by escaping through the top of the tank. I built a plexiglass barrier for the top of my tank for my snowflake a few years ago and it went well for a while. Eventually it got too big and too aggressive to the point I just traded it in. I've always wanted a ghost ribbon eel, they seem really cool and reef safe. RCA sells them occasionally