LED's and cloudy water

Chad and Belinda

We have 3 AI Sol blue LED units above our 90g. The water always seems to have a blue hue throughout and never appears crystal clear like I want.

Any ideas or is this something that is only happening in our tank?

Anyone out there using Maxpect Mazarra LED's?

Ya salt could be a contributing factor, my next guess was going to be flow issues? Anyone in the tank that would disturb the substrate alot causing a spike in nitrate levels? What color does the cloudy water look, is it white yellow or green?

My skimmer seems to be doing fine without any changes.

I have 2 MP40's now plus the return pump. I have decent flow although it could be more (and I think I will crank it up now that you mention it).

The few sand sifters in there are too small and slow to cause that much of a stir.

• Like 1

I know lights themselves don't cause cloudy water but the LED's seem to bring out whatever is going on with water.

I try using socks but withing a few days they need to be changed out and it drives me nuts. lol I should do a better job.

I've never tried using the mesh bag filters instead of socks. Are these the same one that you put carbon in? I do have a carbon/ gfo reactor. I just changed them a week or so ago.

I have considered it being micro bubbles. My skimmer does create them. My sump is too small for a bubble trap and I don't really have room to move things around. When I get home I'll unplug the skimmer for a few days and see where that goes.

The blues seem to magnify the problem. I'll try backing off a bit and see where that goes. There is too much blue anyway.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I'll post what I find.

Are you carbon dosing ? or run biopellets ?

Cloudy water can be caused by bacteria blooms.

If you are cabon dosing use less. If you have biopellets going cut down the number of pellets in the reactor.

I'll do that. Seems like I used a lot of carbon last time. I thought it would help but looks like I was wrong. Thanks!

There is a difference between carbon dosing and using carbon. Using carbon in a reactor or passively will not cause a bacterial bloom. Overdosing a carbon source (vodka, vinegar, etc...) can cause a bacterial bloom that turns the water a milky white.

I would have to agree with the others that the lights are probably not the cause, but they may make the problem look worse.

If it's microbubbles from skimming you could set your skimmer to run only at night, thereby leaving it clear to view during the daytime and still getting your skim done during non-viewing hours.

There is a difference between carbon dosing and using carbon. Using carbon in a reactor or passively will not cause a bacterial bloom. Overdosing a carbon source (vodka, vinegar, etc...) can cause a bacterial bloom that turns the water a milky white.

I would have to agree with the others that the lights are probably not the cause, but they may make the problem look worse.

I misread the post. No carbon dosing but I do use carbon. Thanks for pointing that out. I was still trying to figure out why that would make the water cloudy.

If it's microbubbles from skimming you could set your skimmer to run only at night, thereby leaving it clear to view during the daytime and still getting your skim done during non-viewing hours.

I run mine 24/7. Seems like I read where that isn't always a good idea. Belinda and I are getting a new controller in. I can't believe how expensive these controllers and their accessories are. We are looking at close to $700 for somewhat of a basic set up. At least I can do more with my equipment.

I'll post my outcome with the skimmer tomorrow.

I'm happy to say that the tank water is crystal clear. I'm not sure why the chane. Belinda and I thought about it and the only thing we have done differently about that time was going from Coralife to Red Sea Pro salt. Other than that, IDK.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Chad