SUMP KISS STYLE

Drew Mendez WTR

Keep it simple, stupid.....the band KISS is looking for a roadie, my wife said I could apply (hmm) beside the point. now that I got your attention

Im planning a simple sump wanted to get thoughts, things im incapable of thinking. Any foreseeable problems. Whatever comes to mind. My concern is that I would like to get something going rather than nothing this seems alittle more affordable and I can expand later. I dont have a protein skimmer (need one) I have high nitrates right now due to my port aransas forum...no ones died but Im not able to add anybody else. I have 2 power heads great water flow

post-2505-0-76615200-1333573852_thumb.jp

While I do like Eheim canister filters, most in the hobby won't run one on a reef tnak as they can cause high nitrites if not cleaned often. I wouldn't recommend using a cheap trash can or rubbermaid tub for a sump. While some do, I've seen the damage when they break. They tend to become brittle in a few months and either tear or crack leading to very bad things. For not too much more money, you could have someone like Prof build you a similar sized purpose built sump from acrylic.

This one seems pretty sturdy it was 25 from lowes...I see these all over at Aqua Dome so I got the idea there...

Im not sure what I'm going to do yet, however I know I would like that extra 20-25 gallons. I dont really have that much money so I would like to just start with something I could work with to move foward.

I was thinking of putting the macro algae in there with the the clamp light. So basically a refugium. I just started thinking maybe I could incorporate a 5 gallon bucket with bioballs and drill holes on the bottom so it could filter aswell, throwing the heater in there, a protein skimmer later. What if I took a new pillowcase and put bio balls in there rigged the siphon line to flow in the bucket and drain into the 30 gallon tank and back to the main tank?

I'd think for 30g you can get a used tank for cheap, here or Craigslist or a garage sale, for a buck a gallon or less. Next build, I'm going that route; re-purposing a smaller used tank for my sump.

I like this set up bc its taller...its actually pretty thick I dont think I will have any troubles...I just planned this out

Im attempting to buy the bullet protein skimmer with the mag 12 pump....

I'm going to put the mag 12 into the trash can for the return and use my maxi 600 to power the skimmer under the stand...(it has 3.5 max head) so it would be perfect...

Are you going to put baffles in there ? i.e. if you have macroalgae in the sump how will you keep it from getting sucked into that Mag 12, which may be a bit strong for the setup -- although I haven't seen the built in overflow. Maybe some pics would help.

And if your skimmer return goes back to the sump then how will you keep the air bubbles from the Mag?

Slow movement through a sump is often desirable.

I would get a filter sock setup with the bracket (check brs) and attach that to the thrash can, then run your tank water through that. This will help with the bubbles and it will filter the water too. You can have macro in there you will just need a way to keep the macro from being sucked in to the pump (mentioned already). You can do this by separating it with a divider or maybe you can keep the macro in a mesh bag to keep it together.

Have you checked your phosphates lately? Ammonia?

It's not that the trash can isn't thick enough, it's that the composition degrades quickly leading to disaster.

Oh well, you have a case of the "I'ma do what I wanna do no matter what's" so I'm going to keep my mouth shut, and my decades of experience in the hobby to myself.

Couple of thoughts...

Put some LR in there as well. It can be even more effective than cheato in helping water quality.

Also, if you're on a budget, consider a Phosban reactor but with Purigen (need to create some finer filter guards) over the more expensive skimmer, as it is also a great water quality enhancer. Plus, much easier to set up in a bucket. Skimmers typically want very level water. Of course having them both is best!

I agree with previous, see if you can find an inexpensive used tank, or get someone to build a real sump. HTH.

Ya unfortunately any "ideas" anyone has given you , you have shrugged off so ya do your own thing smile.png. But really that design of a sump is not effecient at all. I have no idea where you are going to put your skimmer, which can't go in something that tall and would be scared about building a skimmer that height. Also something that deep your not going to be able to grow macro in with jsut a clamp light, there will not be enough light penetrating down to the bottom. I am having a little problem with that right now with a 29 tall sump i made ! You are taking what you think to be the "easy" way but in fact you are making it harder and eventually more expensive on yourself. DIY sumps cost maybe 5-10 after you find a used tank ( again less than a 1$ a gallon most times) and are really fun to build with no experience necessary. Most sumps are KISS method. Skimmer /return / refuge not much to them at all. don't be lazy and do it right the first time.

Edited by jamesdean3

Andrew,

There are many ways to skin the cat. If you have know the direction that you want to take, then make it happen. Many of us on this site would help if you get specific with your needs. If you want to discuss medthods, I would suggest that you do so. To start out, what is your previous experience with aquariums? I am "old school" and have been doing marine systems for more than 30 years. What is your goal in marine systems?

http://www.chucksadd...leanupcrew.html

If your goal is to produce nitrates with a wet/dry filter, what are you going to do with high nitrates?

Patrick

Andrew,

Oxidation and reduction are two sides to the same coin. In an oxidizing enviroment, two chemical reactions occur where bacteria convert ammonia to nitrite and different bacteria convert nitrite to nitrate while consuming oxygen. When the oxygen gradiant is low enough, reducing bacteria convert nitrate to nitrogen gas in an anarobic (low oxygen enviroment). The open spaces in this drum of water do not have a reducing athmosphere.

The interior of live rock or in the deep sand bed is where this happens. How will you provide a reducing enviroment in this trash can?

In my opinion, you have discribed a nitrate sink. It will grow much slim algae.

Patrick