Links to FTS in signatures

FarmerTy

I like matching up the online person with his/her tank personality and style. Plus, I don't know about you guys, but I love seeing different tanks! Maybe everyone can put a link on their signature for a FTS of their tanks.

Let's see some tanks! Plus, that FTS thread is like 8 years old I think... just guessing but still... probably not too far off. Let's get some updates in your signatures.

*Edit: Would be even cooler if people periodically (like maybe quarterly) updated their FTS links in their signatures so we can see everyone's tank growth progress over the months.

It's great to see everyone's tank, but I actually prefer signatures to not have large images in them. A link to your gallery with a thumbnail is fine, but especially in a large thread the FTS seems redundant and chews up bandwidth.

It is a gorgeous tank though, I can see why you're proud!

I've had my FW in mine for awhile. Just added my SW tank as well. I'm hosting the images on my own server so ARC bandwidth won't be affected.

Hopefully these aren't considered too large to be offensive to the browsing experience either.

Oh, didn't think about the bandwidth issue Mike. Well I don't want to bog down my surfing of the forum or anybody else's. And down goes the picture... haha.

-Ty

I guess I was just jealous that I don't have a controller to post my tank params in my sig... since my coralife $7.99 thermometer doesn't connect by wifi. whistle.gif

• Like 1

As said, a link to your gallery with a thumbnail is fine. Not all users have their own host and even if lots of images tend to "busy up" a thread. This is an aquarists club, though, and I think it's fun to share what your tank looks like. Maybe different people can try different ideas and we can find a design/format that we all enjoy? In fact, I think that would make a great contest. :)

I'm no programmer so I have no idea how much effort this would take on the website but I was just thinking of something as simple as how when we put a cursor over someone's name and it brings up the menu of options, to have a big button that points to a FTS (which resides in the photo gallery). When it pulls the FTS up, it will be in a gallery view with your 3 prior FTS in a grid so you can see people's growth over the past year (if pictures were uploaded quarterly).

It's quick, easy, and it would encourage people to show how their tank's have morphed over the months/years. That's my 2 cents... what did I win Mike? spiteful.gif

So that's what you tank looks like with the lights on. VERY nice!

Dave-

Thanks Dave! I forgot you didn't get to see it with the lights on. All I ever think about is we're all one crash away from being where we all started from... so I try to enjoy it while it's here.

Like the idea of thumbnails and links but please nobody use big FTS in their actual sig! It sounds like a good idea in theory, but I've been to forums where people do that and it's awful. Really hard to scroll though and see the actual thread pics... esp if it's someones build thread and almost every post has the same picture.

Wow, Ty... I'm diggin' your tank. I may have to take you up on your offer just so I can come by and drool!

Thanks Caleb. I sit in front of it every day and stare... as I am sure we can all understand the obsession.

I'm no programmer so I have no idea how much effort this would take on the website but I was just thinking of something as simple as how when we put a cursor over someone's name and it brings up the menu of options, to have a big button that points to a FTS (which resides in the photo gallery). When it pulls the FTS up, it will be in a gallery view with your 3 prior FTS in a grid so you can see people's growth over the past year (if pictures were uploaded quarterly).

It's quick, easy, and it would encourage people to show how their tank's have morphed over the months/years. That's my 2 cents... what did I win Mike? spiteful.gif

The software that runs the site is a package. We can (and have) modified some parts, but custom programming tends to create problems when we go to apply bug fixes or updates so I'd rather avoid that route.

I was thinking more along the lines of having members customize their signatures and then we can enter the different designs into a poll, select a winner and award a prize. Everyone is free to use whatever signature they want (within guidelines), but it could provide for a nice standardized format.

I have a link in my signature to my tank build, used to be blog back in the ARC days. Not only do you get to see the tank you can also check out our journey from day 1. Yes, I know if needs to be update! Creating a hyperlink in your sig is easy. It takes less than a minute. . .

JeeperTY, you might want to title your link, highlight it then use the add link button to make the title a hyperlink. Just a suggestion.

Dave-