bryopsis

ludakris

been trying to get rid of some bryopsis algae but it dont wanna go away..ive tried every method in the book that i know of...manual removed...raised mag to 1600 currently with epsom salt..ive brushed the rock..my tang dont like it(lol) neither does my snails of blue leg hermits.. anyone have any ideas of how else to get rid of it? im thinking about just removing the rock but one rock has some captain america palys on it.

I've read several threads that specifically say to use Kent Marine magnesium for some reason. I don't know why, but it's supposed to be more effective than other magnesium supplemnts for eliminating bryopsis.

You can also try:

1) Sea Hare

2) Sea Urchin

Kent tech-m is the only Mg product that gets rid of it. It's not the Mg, it's something else in their product that nobody's been able to isolate.

What's your NO3 and PO4 at?

Option 2 is hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). This definitely kills it but it may take several attempts to completely erridicate it. Take the rock out and scrub as best as possible. Then using a spray bottle spray the bryopsis with straight H2O2 and let it sit for a few minutes. Give it a good rinse and put it back in the tank. You may get some localized die off if there are any worms where you spray but it shouldn't be too bad.

Option 3, take the rock and put it in a plastic bag and put it in a cold freezer for 48 hours. You will definitely have die off, but this way works better than darkness as it literally explodes the bryopsis cells so they can't reproduce. Obviously this wont work if there is coral on the rock.

If you can get a saw or chisel and it's only on the one rock, I would hack off the coral and do a H2O2 dip of the coral, and freeze the rest of the rock. To do a dip, mix 50/50 H2O2 and tank water and dip them for about 5 minutes. Repeat in about 5 - 10 days and it should completely work. You can do this will full size rocks but it requires a lot of water and H2O2 each time you do it, and there will be no pods or worms living on the rock, so I stick with dipping for frags only.

thanks for the info guys..i have removed all the small rock that had most of the bryopsis on it..ill pick up some kent tech m and try it out to see if i can get to 1800 then kill off what little is in the tank