Wizardx322's 190 build

wizardx322

I finally got to upgrade from my 90 gal. About a month ago I had Jake (at RCA) order me a new DSA 190.

I wanted it to be eurobraced but it was going to cost much (which i might of been willing to pay) but i found out the center brace is only 2" brace and not the large glass kind either! So we ordered the 190 with centerbrace and a center overflow w/ 2 return and 2 drain holes. It got here with in a week way earlier then expected. I decided to build my own stand and canopy and finaly got them done and painted last week ( thanks for everyone help!). I broke down my 90 gal about a week ago and put all my fish and coral in a big troff ( not sure what its called).

On Monday 03/12/2012 we moved the tank into the house and started setting it up. I decided to use my old water but none of the live rock. I got a good amount of dry rock from Prof. and some more from rivercity (thanks!). So far i just got the sand, rock and powder blue ( just got him last week). I am still working on the plumbing and setting up all the equipment underneath the tank.

Hoping to have everything done tomorrow. I am going to use this thread and try and update each month with the progression of the tank.

my set up

DSA 190

Skimz 201 skimmer ( this skimmer is a beast)

2x250 mh or 400 mh

40 gal breeder turned into sump w/ a section for frags and using a 175w mh about it.

2 mp40w es

Tunze wave box ( may sell this and get 2 more mp40's)

Reeflow external pump

2 phosban reactors ( carbon and rowaphos)

Calcium reactor

1/2 hp aquaeuro chiller w/ mag 7

Apex light

zeovit system

JBJ ATO with 20 gal bucket.

post-1543-0-43663200-1332040628_thumb.jp

post-1543-0-58814400-1332040707_thumb.jp

post-1543-0-29141700-1332040770_thumb.jp

post-1543-0-91554300-1332040826_thumb.jp

Got everything set up and done today. All the hard work paid off I love the tank and the fish are doing great. My corals lost alot of color. AlsoHad a handful of corals took a huge hit (especially my pearl berry and hawkins) hopefully everything will recover I did lose some colonies not too many. most my coral seem to be doing fine but only time will tell.

made many frags in the move but I got to use my new frag rack that John at Aquamag custom made for me.

stayed up to 3am on sat dipping every coral and putting them in the tank.

sunday I did the rock scape (diid it in 30 mins so not super great) and also glue'd my coral down.

today got the Aqua Euro 1/2 hp chiller (awsome chiller), ATO, calcium reactor set up. Also put the doors on canopy and stand.

only thing left to do is 2 phosban reactors (carbon and rowaphos) and organize the plugs and set up the programs for my apex.

right now on my tank i got 1 20k radium and 1x 10k reeflux

post-1543-0-31844000-1332216842_thumb.jp

post-1543-0-01683700-1332216915_thumb.jp

post-1543-0-69826800-1332216956_thumb.jp

Awesome tank. You'll definately have a lot of growth now with double the size

Thanks , there is definitely more room lol lost a lot of color in my coral so just got to play the waiting game

Went to rca today to pick up my rbta's thanks Jake for holding them.

While I was there I bought some new fish a melanurus wrasse, leopard wrasse, and green corse wrasse :)

Hope my anemone find a home away from my coral *fingers crossed*

• 4 weeks later...

April update

My tank is almost full blown sps tank. I already see growth in my corals and color starting to come back. I already have to turn on the calcium reactor to keep my alk/calcium up.

almost lost my red planet but i chopped it up and have several frags/mini colonie's of it now smile.png

This is what I've added in the past 3 weeks

48" blue stunner strip

decided to go 400w instead of 250w and got new 12k reeflux bulbs

fish

6 x chromis

small purple tang

leopard wrasse

blue neon goby

3x sunburst anthias

melanurus wrasse

green corse wrasse

corals

greg hiller's aqua marine jewel (been trying to get this coral for a year)

frog spawn colony

st thomas mushroom (1 red , 1 blue)

duncans

and about 7 other sps i dont know the name too

post-1543-0-19468300-1334361954_thumb.jp

post-1543-0-91741100-1334362005_thumb.jp

post-1543-0-73617300-1334362058_thumb.jp

post-1543-0-22355800-1334362327_thumb.jp

man i cant believe i over looked ur build, looks realy great. I cant wait to see the sump area and itss components.

thanks not much really under the tank i got my sump which is a 40 gal breeder i put some glass baffle's in.

to the right i got my drains to my socks and my sm201 skimmer (this skimmer is a beast), in the middle i decided to try

a frag rack with 175w mh above it, and to the left is just the return pumps 1 to tank and 1 to my chiller.

Currently just running 1 of my two little fishies reactor for carbon. going to put my other one's on soon, one w/ rowaphos and can decide if i wanna go zeovit or biopellets on this system.

Also got my 20 gal tub for my ATO which i just picked up a tunze Osmolator to replace my jbj ATO (thanks chad and bellinda) that way i can go 1 to 2 weeks w/out refilling it.

I have my controller on the wall to the right and lumatek dimmable ballast and calcium reactor on the floor. My AquaEuro 1/2 hp chiller is on the left. If anyone is good at making my wires look better as in neater look i'll give them a frag for doing it for me. i just cant seem to get it to look nice.

In my canopy just got 2 spider reflectors w/ 400w mh 12k reeflux and 48"blue stunner strip and i think i am going to add a white

Also got 6 fans 3 blowing in air 3 on top sucking out the heat

post-1543-0-20285200-1334550019_thumb.jp

post-1543-0-27177000-1334550075_thumb.jp

post-1543-0-71640600-1334550164_thumb.jp

post-1543-0-02920400-1334550237_thumb.jp

post-1543-0-51450200-1334550278_thumb.jp

post-1543-0-07975800-1334550323_thumb.jp

looks dangerous for having MH ballast on the floor right next to the tank, it might get fry from accidental flood.

ya i thought about that i have a shelf i just need to intall it just havn't had time to but for now even if power go's out my sump can hold the water that drains down i've tested it several times as i've had my sump overflow before not fun

hey Tim, is your pump the 5000? if so you may check the impeller for wear, the other day i came home and my skimmer was just barely making any foam in the chamber so i took it apart and the impeller had swollen up from the magnets rusting and expanding. YES mine is the SM201 also thats why i ask.

hey Tim, is your pump the 5000? if so you may check the impeller for wear, the other day i came home and my skimmer was just barely making any foam in the chamber so i took it apart and the impeller had swollen up from the magnets rusting and expanding. YES mine is the SM201 also thats why i ask.

yes mine has the 5000 pump also, its still bubbling fine the only issue i have right now is geting the water level right so the skimmer can work right.

sorry to here about your impeller. what are you going to do warranty? or get a new impeller?

Aquacave was VERY nice and sent me a new impeller with return address label in box so i didnt have to pay for anything. Set the skimmer at a water height of 9.5" about and inch below the white ring around the maind chamber. Turn the air valve all the way closed and open it 1 full revolution. Then adjust the water level inside till it rises to the bottom of the cup and just let it work. Back to the impeller, before the 1 year warranty runs out pull apart your pump for inspection, trust me there have been alot of 1st released SM201s that are having impeller issues. The new impeller is a different design and makes foam alot better.

Aquacave was VERY nice and sent me a new impeller with return address label in box so i didnt have to pay for anything. Set the skimmer at a water height of 9.5" about and inch below the white ring around the maind chamber. Turn the air valve all the way closed and open it 1 full revolution. Then adjust the water level inside till it rises to the bottom of the cup and just let it work. Back to the impeller, before the 1 year warranty runs out pull apart your pump for inspection, trust me there have been alot of 1st released SM201s that are having impeller issues. The new impeller is a different design and makes foam alot better.

ok thanks for the info unfortunetly i got mine used from someone so i doubt i would be able to use the warranty

Looks like you've done the best job possible with the amount of wires you have. Since it all has to be accessible its hard to clean them up more than that. The only real fix would be to get some fish tape and run them through the walls. It wouldn't be too much trouble and it would clean up a lot of them.

I thought it was against code to run electrical cords through walls since they are not properly insulated? I think for reasons of being a fire hazard... though I guess it wouldn't be a big deal since you have a 190g tank of water right next to it. grin.png Sorry, not trying to whistle blow, just remember reading something like that when I was planning to run my LCD TV cord through the wall after I wall-mounted it. I did it anyways...

You thought about just using some of those vacuum-hose looking cord wraps. It'll clean it up real easy without all the trouble. Won't be that perfect clean look most might want but it's better than a mess of cords. My 2 cents...

Sorry, I mentioned that for more purposes of a fire hazard than for a code violation. I think Tim owns the home he's in so he probably wouldn't be worried about an inspection, unless he invites a building inspector in just for the hell of it... I know if I did that, I'd be written up for a couple things here and there... whistle.gif