Reef pics using Lytro camera

Mitch

I've been following this camera's development for a while, and got a chance to play with it @ SXSWi. Fundamentally this camera captures the entire light field, and allows one to refocus the pic at any time (just click different points on the pic and see the image refocus magically). Currently only supported on Mac, but Windows to be released later this year.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/14/lytro-pictures-reef-aquarium/

I've been following this camera for a long time now since it was in a beta/investors needed stage. Has sounded perfect for aquarium photography from the start since it's always difficult to get in focus shots with moving inhabitants. Looking forward to future models with better resolution but looks really promising.

Ok, at first I thought you had gotten your hands on your very own Lytro... I was going to be really jealous :)

I have also been watching the development of the Lytro, and was wondering how it would do with a tank... and it looks like it does pretty darn good! While not a replacement for a DSLR, having the ability to refocus after-the-fact is awesome.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fyi Lytro will be coming to SXSW again, and they're offering opportunities to win one!

http://events.lytro.com/featured-main/win-lytro-cameras/

If you register for Scene at SouthBy, they will loan you a Lytro camera. I was told by the Marketing Manager that I would be able to keep it overnight - not sure if this is the norm or because I chose the last slot of the day. But anyways, yay! I'm gonna try to take pics of my tank.

Mitch

all the camera does is take a photo with a high aperture to increase the DOF. You can achieve the same thing with a DSLR. The "refocusing" all happens in software which you can do in Photoshop to any photo. If you want the same results take a photo with a large aperture so you can have everything in focus and then bring it into software and blur out the things you don't want in focus.

Archived