Tips on catching fish in your tank

Devin

I really don't want to take my tank apart to get a mean royal gramma out. Any of you SW Jedi know any tricks?

I made a fish trap from a 2 litter soda bottle and put food in it but so far just my peppermint shrimps have gone in. Th RG keeps swimming right up to it and then turns around and goes the other way.

If you catch the shrimp take em out, and put em in the sump if you have one. That way the royal will be alone to get the food. Then try again. IME the coke bottle is the best bet for not tearing your tank apart. Another option is to drain the tank Most of the way and try to get him in the shallow water. Also some folks have had luck going in at night when the lights are out then turning on the lights real fast which will in essence, stun the fish, and slow em down, makingthem easier to catch. Lastly if you have the room you could try to move all rock to one side and use an egg crate to separate the tank in half trapping the fish on the side with no rock. HTH

• Like 1

also if the fish is swimming up to it then away its because its not comfortable with that new thing in the tank. Leave the bottle in there with no food in it or no food in the tank for a day or 2 then place food only in the bottle for the next few days.

You may also want to just leave the bottle in there for a week while normaly feeding then try not feeding with only food in the trap depending on how fast you need to get it ;).

the ez way to get the food in the trap is to put a small hole in it just big enough to get a turkey baster in and then blast a small amount of myst in there.

+1 to what Mike and AquaJohn are saying, the coke bottle fish trap works well just takes some patience and getting the ifsh comefortable with someting foreign in the tank. IMO if you follow what they both posted above you will catch that fish! Good luck.

The only 100% technique is to use a shotgun hyper.gif I use the coke bottle technique with a acrylic mirror cut fit the bottom then training the fish to feed in a fish net. You can also get a very small #24 or #28 fish hook and go fishin'

I have really become good at catching fish and have 2 suggestions

First, RG usually have a hiding spot inside a rock, put a net in front of it and try and flush it out. Or try and remove the rock that it lives in while its sleeping.

What I have is a large fish trap with doors, get the largest one possible that will fit in your tank. Tie fishing line to the doors and hold them open by putting the fishing line undeneath a magnet somewhere outside the tank. Leave it in there for a few days before you even try to catch anything. Everytime you feed always put the food inside the trap. The food will float out so the fish can eat it.....or they will swim inside right away....depending on the fish you never know. Keep doing this until they are comfortably swimming in and out, then try and catch. I get some frozen food and put a little in the trap at a time when I'm "fishing" to keep them interested. You might put a rock inside of it, that helps. When the fish goes inside pull off the magnet and the doors will shut. I've caught LOTS of fish this way.

I had a flame angel a couple months ago that I had to catch b/c it was picking on my sunset monti, I actually put the monti in the trap to catch it. Sometimes you have to get a little creative.

BTW my tangs think the trap is a toy, within minutes of being in the tank they line up and start swimming through it for fun (my trap has doors on both sides). Even my black tang that can barely fit in the trap swims through it evey few minutes.