440g Custom Starphire Metal-framed Reef Dropoff Tank

fjr_wertheimber

It should be pretty simple to make a cone for something that small with a sheet of acrylic. Just build a mold and heat the acrylic. I think I have a thread on making cone skimmers saved somewhere, lets see if I can find it.

Edit: This isn't the one I was looking for, but it should work. http://theprodigalcube.blogspot.com/2009/09/diy-cone-skimmer.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, has anyone dealt with Live Rock Ranch (liverockranch.com) before? For the sheer amount of live rock I'm going to need for this system, there's no way I'm going to go through one of the LFS (as much as I love 'em, I earned my $ and I'm not going to throw it away on higher prices just 'cause I like 'em), and their prices seem to be pretty great; plus with them being located in FL transit time should be pretty quick, i.e.- less die off. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences?

hey i have been following your thread on here and RC. I have used a place on EBAY twice for 200#s of FRESH liverock, and i mean fresh like hand picked the day you order and shipped 24hrs to you. I have seen the LAX airport scan of the LR coming threw customs from FIJI and directly to destination here.(ME) Price was realy fair and the rock was nice in its variety of sizes. Also i havent had and bad hitchhikers. i will search my ebay purchases and get back with you if interested.

I just checked and it was aquacon.com For some reason now they arent selling 50# boxes anymore and the price is a little higher. i paid $149.99/50#s and got 2 boxes everytime. was some nice fresh rock.

It's been four months since my build and my man-made rock from Reel Reef has been a really pleasant surprise. I wasn't convinced that it was the way to go but Mark (mcallahan) really wanted to try it and I am sooo glad we used it. Really cool shapes, easy to build with, no hitchikers and the integrated pigments make it look like it covered in coraline from day one. That and a bottle of Dr. Tim's and the tank was cycled and fully stocked within 3 weeks! That's 3 weeks with no die-off to contend with. I never had any spikes just blips on the amonia and nitrite radar. Just a thought. Give Mark a shout if you're interested, I think he is now a dealer for them and could get you a good deal.

That said, I can't wait to see some pics of the stand and frame!

If I were setting up a new reef tank I would go all man made or dry rock because of hitchhikers and algae. I wouldn't use live sand either. I've battled aptasia and have gotten rid of most of it and now I'm battling majanos. I think I would go with our new sponsor, cerameco (spelling?), those rocks look really cool and I like how you can still have lots of sand exposed.

I'll tell you how I got all my rock for free which is about 500#. I would go out and buy complete tanks of craigslist in austin, san antonio, waco, and even houston. I would offer them a low ball price and if they accepted I would go get everything, sell the livestock, tank/stand and all the hardware and kept the rock or whatever else I wanted. Sometimes I would just break even and sometimes I would be able to keep the rock and make a little money. Its a lot of work cleaning eveything and reselling it but it saved me around $2k, maybe a little more.

RCA will give you a discount if you preorder your rock, I think its $3-4 per pound.

Having seen Richard's tank and using a couple of pieces myself, I think Reel Reef rock is the way to go. It is the most natural looking man made rock I have seen and it is already nice and purple. I would not go any other way.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, still been too busy with work to swing by the fabricators and get pics of the tank & stand in progress, but wanted to post the updated design specs for them. On the advice of a couple of good mechanical failure analysis engineers I know, I added some triangular braces to limit the torsional twist and shear potential for failure, changed from a single 1.5" strap across the top to two .5" solid bars across the top, and added some tabs for attaching the wood facings and doors. We also decided to have them weld and powdercoat matching sidetables for the room, as well. Please note, the frame, stand, and tables will all be powdercoated black, they're just red in these images for viewing clarity.

UPDATEDaquariumtabsandsupports1.jpg

UPDATEDaquariumtabsandsupports2.jpg

UPDATEDaquariumtabsandsupports4.jpg

UPDATEDaquariumtabsandsupports5.jpg

Hopefully sometime this weekend or early next week I can get out there and get some real pics, instead of just renderings.

Edited by fjr_wertheimber

• 3 weeks later...

Should have the tank frame and stand in the fish room sometime in the next week or so. Can't wait!

You must be dissapointed with the fabricators by now, from your posts they have been working on it for 2 months and still aren't done! Should have went with my guy, you would have had your stand 7 weeks ago! Hopefully things will move faster once you get the stand finished, at this rate its going to be a year or more before you get any water in it.

I've got a couple extra tanks if you want to borrow one, you can at least put some water in somthing while you wait :)

• 5 weeks later...

LOL No, actually very happy with my fab guys, just very UNhappy with my insane schedule at the new job... Things are starting to finally calm down a bit, so I've found myself with (amazingly enough) a bit of time. So, that being said, there actually HAS been some progress on the big tank... but that's not what I'm posting about.

You see, part of the idea/design mentality behind the large tank is for it to be a reef biotope consistent (for the most part) with the Coral Sea (where Wendy and I went scuba diving during our R&R from Iraq). With that in mind, I'd fallen in love with blue-stripe orange-fin clownfish, Amphiprion chyrsopterus and wanted to get a mated pair. The only problem was finding a pair. Well, and finding a pair that wasn't $350+.

So, anyways, I was coming back from work last week and decided to pop into Aquatek... when what do I see? Yup, a mated pair of A. chrysopterus. Oh, and did I mention they were about 1/4 of the usual price??? GTFO. Well, crap, now where the hell am I gonna put 'em? It's gonna be quite a while 'til water is in the big tank (hell, I'm still trying to find a decent glass supplier after three different places have changed their timelines/prices on me)... I went on Craigslist and found a guy selling a 30 gallon bowfront with 45 lbs of rock, sand, filter, and LED lighting, all in great shape... for only $100??! Suffice to say, we snatched that up... only to find the tank also included a single A. ocellaris, that (of course) Wendy promptly fell in love with. Well, crap, can't put it in with the blue-stripes, what am I gonna do with him? Another Craigslist search found a great deal on a Biocube 29. Found out it had a bad ballast, but was able to score one at AquaDome for a steal. Okay, now what about live rock? Richard L hooked me up bigtime on some man-made Real Reef rock which I split between the two tanks. I got some Dr. Tim's One-and-Only for Nano/Reef, gave it a few days, tested parameters, rock solid, dosed some ammonia, checked the next day, rock solid still. Sweet! (BTW, that's the first time I've used that stuff, gotta say I'm impressed; it actually lives up to the hype.)

Anyway, I know a thread is nothin' without pics, so:

Fish being acclimated (BTW, leftover Army combat lifesaver kits ROCK for IV lines for acclimation... I've got extras if anyone needs a few.)

fish1.jpg

Wendy's new Biocube with fish being acclimated:

fish2.jpg

A. chysopterus pair:

fish3.jpg

Another pic:

fish4.jpg

Anyway, I'm completely thrilled, can't wait to get them into the big tank now...

Edited by fjr_wertheimber