A Good Place to Start?

Grog

New here, well my second post now...

Been doing a lot of reading on here, other sites, and several books over the last few weeks. Seems like now I know just enough to be dangerous. tongue.png Looking for the best place to start.

Since I'm still relatively undecided on the exact stuff I want in my tank, I'm thinking the one item I can address is my water. The water where I live is awful and I'm in 'the sticks' so going to a shop is not really an option. So, I'm thinking the logical way to jump into this would be to start with a RO/DI water system. I brew beer and wine too so the cleaned up water would support both hobbies.

To me, this seems like a good 'first gear' purchase. Or are there other things I should be working on first?

Grog

Welcome to ARC. You have made a good win/win choice with the reverse osmosis membrane. While I do not use one because of the large quantities of water in my marine systems, I have a home well with very alkaline, high calcium, magnesium, and sulfur water.

Depending on your previous experience, you should start small. Like nano small. Much easier and less costly to maintain. The thing that you sacrifice most with Nano Tanks is stability. There are many nano tanks available on this site. Pull up a stool and stroll thru the clasified.

Patrick

goo choice on 1st purchase, may i suggest EBAY for your RODI. A little cheaper and same results. Bulk Reef Supply sell them relatively cheap as well. So i think the 1st good rule of thumb is a smaller tank is Very hard to stabilize unless you know whats going on inside the system. Any little chnage you do changes it drasticallly, so maybe a little bigger, say 90-120 gallon tank ALOT easier to control and wont cost an arm and leg to run. You WILL go bigger if you start out small. Id say a 90-120G tank would last mmmmm say 2 yrs depending on your stocking habbits, if you like to buy alot then you may fill it up faster. But if you take it slow and gradual then it should be good. This is just from my experiences, My 1st tank was a 26G (tone of problems), then a 72G went good for a year or so then i wanted a bigger one, so a 120G was bought and kept for 3+ yrs. I recently built a 200G tank and i am just taking it slow, if i go bigger later the wife will kill me. Hope this helps.

I always reccomend Delbeek and Sprungs "The Reef Aquarium" Vol III, ch 4-8. Chapter 6 does an excellent job of covering the different filtering methodologies from the super simple pumpless systems like Lee Chin Engs and Juabert "Standard" plenum approach to the very complicated algea turf approach pioneered by Dr, Adey of the Smithsonian. I would emphasize more technology DOES NOT equate to better, only more to maintain and break down. Concerning your water if you're getting it from a local well the calcium carbonate that is causing it to be hard and leave mineral deposits is beneficial to the corals and all you may need to do is run it through just a carbon filter. I have no objections to using RO, RO/DI and use both myself but I also have a tank that's been using tap water (with dechlorinator) for 4 years now and is going strong and if you look up DoMa's tank videos he also is using tap water as is Subsea. I am really glad to see you are researching what you want to put in your tank first, there are so many variables and choices it is impossible to set up a tank that would keep everything happy and deciding what animals you want first will undouptedly save you a few headaches down the road. I don't know if you've come across them yet but Ken Feldman has some interesting research online on skimming and carbon and Randy Holmes-Farley has excellent articles on how pH, alkalinity and calcium are interelated. And lastly network with some of your fellow hobbyest here on ARC, it will really be helpfulll to see first hand how people have set up thier tanks and talk shop with them about what they like don't like and would do differently.

Here's a video of my tank maintained with tap water:

• Like 2

OffRoad is right that you will likely eventually go bigger, however, my first tank was a BC14 and it had no problems. In fact it was my success with that tank that led me to want to go bigger. Big tanks are expensive to set up and if you're a newbie big water changes and other associated upkeep can seem a little daunting. The ease of caring for my small tank made me more confident in caring for a bigger tank. But YMMV!

• Like 2

In viewing your profile, I saw the 29G tank size reference. Before the nano tanks were available, the 29G high tank was the best set up for a low tech tank that I have ever used. I gutted the three filter compartment and replaced with live sand/rubble as a pod factory. The extra vertical distance on the 29G high allowed for a DSB of 6" of substrate. In my case, I experimented with silica sand recovered from a creek bed near my home in DeRidder, La.

As I am a proponant of natural nitrate reduction in my reef husbandry, the above system would qualify as the "KISS" Principal ( keep it simple, stupid ). I would like to point you toward thinking about the biotheme that you want in your tank. The above theme tank would do well with corals that like high nutriants: soft corals including mushrooms which are extremely colorful, LPS, non-photosynthetic corals and filter feeders. Every category of coral will have its exceptions. Reading and getting connected with other hobbiest is your best first and ongoing course of action. Be careful, this stuff is addicting.

Thanks for all of the replies,

I'll look into the recommended reading that y'all have provided.

I've already been out on Bulk Reef Supply and the for-sale section of this forum, poking around. Lots to buy so I'm definitely taking my time before buying a bunch of stuff that I may, or may not, need. I've learned patience from the wine/mead making. (I have one mead that has sat in the carboy for almost three years, and it still isn't ready for bottling...) So, I'm totally OK with easing into a new aspect of the aquarium hobby and avoiding new tank syndrome.

Some of the habits, like water changes, not overfeeding, dealing with overly aggressive tank mates, avoiding the one-more-fish-in-this-tank desire, etc. I already have from my freshwater tanks. So, regular maintenance is not a stranger to me. The sump ideas, various lighting, water details, and protein skimmers are new. Learning is fun though. If it isn't challenging then it really isn't very fun.

Oh, and subsea, the only reason I list a 29 as my tank is that is what I use for my fresh tanks today. My thought today for the marine tank would be 90. Stability is important to me, I don't want to be pulling my hair out over to subtle changes and hope that size would give me a little bit more noob-buffer than a 29g would. I'll probably end up in the 75-120 range depending on what I find used on this forum or Craigslist. I'm flexible though.

And yes, I can see where this could be an addictive hobby. I'm a bit of an obsessive collector of various things, so this tickles that particular fancy of mine as well. Luckily the wife can keep me under a bit of reasonable control.

Thanks again folks,

Grog

Kid I suggest using RO/DI water. Unless you are growing algae like Subsea which can use the PO4 and other minerals. Or unless you want to grow hair algae. If you cannot afford RO water this is wrong hobby for you.. Just trying to prevent problems down the road for you.