Juiceman

Larger pipe creates less drag Juiceman. I'd size it to the outlet of the pump and minimize downsizing when possible. The entire run will only run as much as the narrowest restriction anyways so keep that in mind.

Wouldn't it jst depend on the size the pump requires? Maybe I'm not understanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larger pipe creates less drag Juiceman. I'd size it to the outlet of the pump and minimize downsizing when possible. The entire run will only run as much as the narrowest restriction anyways so keep that in mind.

So the outlet of a mag18 for example is 3/4". So you wouldn't use 3/4" piping, you'd use something bigger so it's never any smaller that 3/4....?

Wouldn't it jst depend on the size the pump requires? Maybe I'm not understanding.

So the outlet of a mag18 for example is 3/4". So you wouldn't use 3/4" piping, you'd use something bigger so it's never any smaller that 3/4....?

I would just use 3/4" the whole way and try not to reduce it anywhere if possible. I didn't have that option so unfortunately I had to reduce some connections.

I would just use 3/4" the whole way and try not to reduce it anywhere if possible. I didn't have that option so unfortunately I had to reduce some connections.

How big is the output of the Jaboa? Looks like it's 1.5" from the size of the manifold piping!

Jst stay 3/4. By increasing, the pump wld have to work harder to pump a higher volume. It's designed to run 3/4, I'd stick w/ that. I know nothing about reefs [emoji6], but I say that from a plumbing standpoint.

I ran all 3/4

If I had it to do again I would use 1"x3/4"X1" T's and use the 3/4" for the returns going up. And 1" along the manifold.

Christyef,

You have it backwards the pump has to pump harder due to smaller pipe friction loss. Think of it this way. The 1/8" around the inside of the pipe is very hard to pump due to the friction of the water on the pipe. It flows easiest in the middle of the pipe. The larger the inner diameter the more water it can flow easier.

• Like 2

True, each fitting adds restriction too.

http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/outlet-pipe-size-for-pump-is-a-bigger-pipe-better/

An article I found that is kinda helpful.. Has a friction loss calculator if you really wanna be specific. [emoji4]

Reburn, You're right, larger pipe is better

I ran all 3/4

If I had it to do again I would use 1"x3/4"X1" T's and use the 3/4" for the returns going up. And 1" along the manifold.

Christyef,

You have it backwards the pump has to pump harder due to smaller pipe friction loss. Think of it this way. The 1/8" around the inside of the pipe is very hard to pump due to the friction of the water on the pipe. It flows easiest in the middle of the pipe. The larger the inner diameter the more water it can flow easier.

True, each fitting adds restriction too.

http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/outlet-pipe-size-for-pump-is-a-bigger-pipe-better/

An article I found that is kinda helpful.. Has a friction loss calculator if you really wanna be specific. [emoji4]

Reburn, You're right, larger pipe is better

That was a very thorough easy read!

Reburn... That what I'm trying to understand.

So you mentioned that you would use 1" on the Manifold and 3/4 just for the part going out to your 2 returns.. did I read that right? So why not 1" all the way to the bulkhead of the return?

Bulk heads for line loc come standard 3/4" as the largest. I see no need to drill a larger bulkhead to just throttle the connection back in the last 1".

So think of it like a fire hose with garden hoses coming off it vs just a bunch of garden hoses. You will get more flow the first way.

• Like 1

[emoji33]. What in the world is that?

Looks like someone's awesome fish room! With a giant red UV sterilizer! Haha

w/ a HUUGE SKIMMER! If it is, I bet the tank is massive

[emoji33]. What in the world is that?

Looks like someone's awesome fish room! With a giant red UV sterilizer! Haha

w/ a HUUGE SKIMMER! If it is, I bet the tank is massive

Maybe.....

I can tell you this is one of the things I'd do in my future home.

I would want a 100g+ tub just for live rock and water to be plumbed in just for more natural filtration and water volume.

I've seen huge fish rooms setups for 50-60 gallon displays..!

• Like 1

b90ebb57841a222e3922ca8df7d4fb6f.jpg

FedEx let me pickup this shipment from the distribution center in pfluggerville. No waiting all day for it to be delivered!

63a4bf548b11162432255ed2931e0d10.jpg

I think I'm set for live rock!

Dry shelf rock comes in tomorrow!

I think you'll be so much happier. And on the above fish room pic. Yeah I bet it's a big tank. I see 4 metal halide ballasts. And a skimmer that looks like it could hold a basketball in the collection cup

• Like 2

So deciding how to run my returns in the drilled setup...

I would either drill for 3 returns or 2. Not sure which would be better.

also not sure if it would be worth it to add any Y loc line fittings inside the tank in any scenerio

202752-Loc-Line-Y-fitting-grouped-a_1.jp

I currently have a Mag 18 trickling into the tank via 4 loc line Flare nossiles, which I think is caused by poor plumbing on my part..

Either way i'm going to switch to Round Nissiles...

202743-Loc-Line-Round-Nozzle-grouped-a_1

Think there are any pros and cons to add the y inside the tank or going with 3 returns instead or 2 or some combination of all these things?