How do you scrape algae off of the glass?

KarenM

For several weeks now I've had bright green algae growing on the back wall of my tank. It's not soft algae that the snails can eat, it's hard and I'll have to scrape it off somehow. Yesterday I noticed some pencil-eraser sized pink coraline spots - a few on the glass, a few on the power filter.

How do I get these off?

For several weeks now I've had bright green algae growing on the back wall of my tank. It's not soft algae that the snails can eat, it's hard and I'll have to scrape it off somehow. Yesterday I noticed some pencil-eraser sized pink coraline spots - a few on the glass, a few on the power filter.

How do I get these off?

Hey Karen.....how you doing?

If you want to scrape hard algae off the glass I would suggest to use glass scraper (blade). We got this blades that are titanium coated and they seem to last longer and wont rust as quickly as the regular blades. As for the filter, get a hard toothbrush and when you do maintenance on your tank just brush it off. A little elbow grease, but it works for me. Hope this help! :D

-Cindy-

Hey Karen.....how you doing?

If you want to scrape hard algae off the glass I would suggest to use glass scraper (blade). We got this blades that are titanium coated and they seem to last longer and wont rust as quickly as the regular blades. As for the filter, get a hard toothbrush and when you do maintenance on your tank just brush it off. A little elbow grease, but it works for me. Hope this help! :D

-Cindy-

Hi, Cindy. I'm just fine. You should see how big my mushrooms have gotten! Thanks for the advice. Is the glass scraper something specifically for aquariums, or would I find it at a hardware store?

If you get a bunch of those credit card offers with the fake plastic cards, you can use them + some elbow grease to scrape off the coralline. Only drawback is that you'll have to stick your arm into the tank, as opposed to the glass scrapers that Cindy mentioned.

Hi, Cindy. I'm just fine. You should see how big my mushrooms have gotten! Thanks for the advice. Is the glass scraper something specifically for aquariums, or would I find it at a hardware store?
I believe most LFS would carry scraper for aquariums.....as for the (extra) blades , hardware store. You could even find a scraper at the hardware store, plastic preferable.
If you get a bunch of those credit card offers with the fake plastic cards, you can use them + some elbow grease to scrape off the coralline. Only drawback is that you'll have to stick your arm into the tank, as opposed to the glass scrapers that Cindy mentioned.
Good idea Yun.

I have used the scrapers, credit cards, and razor blades, but I have found the long handled Kent type scrapper (36 inch long I think) works the best. Your hands stay dry and you can get to every part of the tank. A cleaning magnet will do the job as well if you run it over the spot enough times.

i'm still a fan of just taking a razorblade and having at it, obviously this is a horrible idea for acrylic, but I find I need a not less elbow grease if I just use a cheap razor that I'll be able to throw away when I'm done with it I think home depot sells them by the gross for 15 bucks, no worries about rust in the tank that way either.

I bought one of those little plastic scraper things with the razor blades. It cleans the area surrounding the green algae fine (I can feel it building up there), however it doesn't really clean the green algae off other than if I use the corner of the blade and scrub very hard. At that rate, I'll be scrubbing forever.

Any other ideas? It's very hard algae, very bright green.

I bought one of those little plastic scraper things with the razor blades. It cleans the area surrounding the green algae fine (I can feel it building up there), however it doesn't really clean the green algae off other than if I use the corner of the blade and scrub very hard. At that rate, I'll be scrubbing forever.

Any other ideas? It's very hard algae, very bright green.

Sometimes you have to angle the blade differently in order to scrape it. I know it can be a tedious job, but you will have a clean tank.

Sometimes you have to angle the blade differently in order to scrape it. I know it can be a tedious job, but you will have a clean tank.

I was thinking about trying one of those plastic pot scrubber things that look kind of like a plastic SOS pad. I'd get a brand new one, of course. Do you think that would get it off?

I was thinking about trying one of those plastic pot scrubber things that look kind of like a plastic SOS pad. I'd get a brand new one, of course. Do you think that would get it off?

I don't know about that. I feel more secure with the blade and the mag-float, IMO. Maybe someone else will shed so input on your question.

I paid $14 or whatever it was for the kent pro-scraper. Does an amazing job on coralline, and tough green algae. Just be sure to replace the guard over the blade when you're done. If you don't you'll get nicks in the blade, and you will get nice pretty streaks on your glass.

Edited by Beretta

I paid $14 or whatever it was for the kent pro-scraper. Does an amazing job on coralline, and tough green algae. Just be sure to replace the guard over the blade when you're done. If you don't you'll get nicks in the blade, and you will get nice pretty streaks on your glass.

You were right! I picked one up today, along with a larger mag-float, and took about 2 hours to re-scape and clean up and it looks terrific. Except now I can't find my camel shrimp.