Aiptasia? Harmful?

civais

They do not seem to be stinging any of my corals but its not like they are attractive. I just read a post about injecting vinegar with a syringe, says it works on aiptasia as well. They are not out of control, only on one rock but I would only do a few at a time. Has anyone ever used this method?

I have majanos in my tank and they are a PITA. I bought a majano wand off of ebay, it works ok. I also epoxied over some, which worked on maybe 50%...the other 50% moved from underneath the epoxy.

If you value your tank (and your sanity) get them out now.Take out the rock they are on and sun dry it for a LONG time. The vinegar treatment only makes them mad, and they just split and multiply (same for aiptasia). I bought a frag with them on it, I wound up tearing half my tank out to get rid of them. They can, and will, take over your tank and kill your corals. You say they are only on one rock, get that rock out now, or regret it for a long time.

• Like 1

Too funny, I had just run out of things to mess with. Thanks for the advise, I just got that little toadstool, hate to see him and his disc friend go. I would not be in the hobby if it was not a challenge.

post-2134-0-04081000-1325913199_thumb.jp

I have used vinegar and a syringe on aptasia successfully but never tried it with majano. I would just pull the rock out also. I just had to pull a rock out of my tank for a different reason. Think that is the safest course of action.

Just scrape the majanos off the rock. Unlike aptaisia, they will often just pop off with a little coaxing. IMO, re-attaching a toadstool and a paly grandis is MUCH more annoying than scraping off 5-6 majanos with a screwdriver.

ok screw driver kinda works, had to use a syphon (like used for bubble algae) to catch dissolving majanos and to catch them as they start to float away. For now I am only going to do a few and see what happens.

The problem with trying to remove the majanos manually is that if any small piece is left behind, they will regrow. This is why I think you should remove the polyp and leather and toss the rock.

Plus, if you try to remove them and a small particle lands on another rock, you stand the chance of them growing there. With pests like these, I find it is much better to simply remove the rock, even if it means losing some desirable corals. I would rather lose one or two corals than have my tank overrun. When that happens, people sometimes give up. Better to cut your losses early. This is the same reason I will toss a frag I just purchased if I find it has something very undesirable on it. So far it has saved me from having any massive outbreaks of damaging pests (besides algae).

• Like 2

The ocean is full of pests. You will encounter most of them more than once. If you throw everything suspicious away, you are only costing yourself more. The ideal procedure would be manual removal, followed by quarantine to check for resurgence, and finally placement in the display. I like to do the scraping with the rock out of water on a well lit work surface. A bucket of used tank water can be used to swish scrapings off periodically as you go - it also keeps the coral moist until it is returned to the tank. (obviously you should toss the water out!)

• Like 1

Or just pull the rock, chisel the rock where they are located. Rinse the rock in a bucket of saltwater and put it back in your tank. Coraline will cover the places you've chiseled in no time. You could even glue corals in these places. Might give you a excuse to buy more frags.

And here I was thinking I would have to take a break from buying anything until I am sure they are all gone. Leave it to a reefer to find a way to keep buying even during a crisis. Update, I did remove the rock in a bucket and scraped off what I could however I do not have a quarantine tank so we will just have to wait and see. I am not going to get crazy about them, pest will be pest and my Maroon clown and anemones do far more damage to other corals than these little guys have.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see how you feel about them in 6 months to a year

good luck and I hope you got them all.

No way in the world would I put that rock back in my tank its way cheeper to replace the corals that were on it.

• 1 month later...

http://www.youtube.c.../21/qltXI0l3M9E

This video shows a 2500G tank kept free of nusainse organisms with different biological controls. I do not consider glass anemoneas to be "doomsday". While they are a nuisance, they are not the end of reef keeping and can easily be kept under control with proper nutriant control and biolological controls.

Patrick

Patrick, thank you for sharing the link, good information on fish that control Aptasia. Unfortunately, it seems finding fish interested in majanos is more challenging. But just as there are tanks that are naturally able to control such pests, other tanks are torn completely apart to eradicate them. Chingchai's 1000g tank is a perfect example, and arguably one of the best tanks in the world. Here is a post of him removing every coral in his tank to try and get rid of the majano's: http://reefcentral.c...&postcount=6573

However, I am really interested in hearing the OP's experience. Too often we have threads like this where everyone offers advice, but we don't hear about the end results to help inform our opinions going forward.