Blindsides Rimless Reef

blindside

Wassup ARC! long time no see!

soooo... long story short as many of you know, ive been thru SEVERAL tanks... I took a very long break from "reefing" tho, ive had this sitting in my closet for over a year now, and decided why not give it a go! lifes been a bit complicated, but I feel like im now more stable then ever, as a professional tattoo artist I have become very busy, working over 12 hours a day, and all the traveling involved in my career... from west coast all the way to the east coast, and everywhere in between.. soon to be over seas im sure.. BUT I have a little more time on my hands now that I have worked my a** off for everything to be more stable. Also raising my 3 year old son has not been an easy task... ha! (that guys nuts!)

Anyways, on to the tank build! I have decided to stay in the nano realm, and start off with something simple and not as time demanding.

• 6 gallon glass rimless tank 16x11x8
  • Fluval underwater filter
  • Fluval auto temp adjusting heater
  • Rapid LED par38 17k 80 degree bulb ( not yet installed)

My plans for the tank, keep it simple, so far it is housing a pair of extreme misbar clowns, and a fire shrimp. I would like to add a few smaller fish, maybe some tiny gobies, a strawberry pseudo for color, and some cool inverts. As far as coral goes, I will eventually venture back into housing SPS, but for now I will take it easy, maybe some nice ricordeas.

Here is the tank sitting in its permanent location.

SAM_0210.jpg

SAM_0209.jpg

SAM_0208.jpg

I had put 5lbs of live sand and filled it up with saltwater, no liverock. I noticed the top shelf bowing just a bit, so i cut some pieces of MDF i had lying around and drilled them to the next shelf under sitting directly under the tank to help support the weight of the tank when its fully stocked, it no longer bows.

SAM_0217.jpg

Here it is after i had the supporting MDF painted and installed, also added some shelves up top, the main reason for the shelves hovering up over my tank is to mount my lighting, it turned out to look really good i thought.

SAM_0236.jpg

I added a few pounds of liverock that I aquired from a good friend of mine, and his tank has been running for almost a year now. I have always been a fan of using a minimal amount of rock, I enjoy beeing able to see areas of wide open sandbed, and want to give my inhabitants as much swimming room as possible in such a small tank. I also cant stand when liverock touches any sides of my glass, so I went with some isolated islands. Theres not alot of room on my rocks for much coral, but eventually when i get back into growing SPS, the pieces I do decide to add will have enough room to branch out nicely.

SAM_0240.jpg

SAM_0242.jpg

SAM_0243.jpg

SAM_0244.jpg

so far so good! Anyways, let me know what you guys think! Thanks for checking out my build!

got something!

led004.jpg

so far so good!

led005.jpg

BAM!

led006.jpg

led007.jpg

thanks to rapid led!

led010.jpg

its hard to capture the true colors of this thing, but its amazing! i love this thing, led's are sick! now just gotta put it to the test with some coral soon.

led011.jpg

led023.jpg

led027.jpg

led028.jpg

led030.jpg

led033.jpg

Edited by blindside

• 2 weeks later...

update!

picked up a few things today

a "mated" pair of hifin gobies, we shall see, have read a pair is hard to come by since both male and female are almost identical.

1222012047.jpg

1222012049.jpg

1222012070.jpg

1222012067.jpg

been having some bubble algae and hair algae starting to bloom, so i figured id give this little guy a go and see if he can help me out, as soon as he was cut loose after acclimation, he starting munching at the hair algae asap, hasnt gotten to the bubble algae yet tho... hope he eats it!

1222012041.jpg

1222012044.jpg

1222012043.jpg

1222012056.jpg

also i decided i wanted a taller stand, i then remembered i had an antique cabinet in storage that was more then perfect for the job

002.jpg

but it was too light in color soooo... ( i had other furniture i had to stain to match the stand aswell so i purchased more then enough to go around )

004.jpg

check out this lock on this thing! its dope.. wonder if this stand is worth anything... hmm pawn stars?!

006.jpg

crazy key hole...

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

here is the frame above my reef

001.jpg

i wanted to match the stand as close as possible, i think it went well

016.jpg

i will be switching everything over as soon as everything dries up!

got it all switched over today, i think it looks pretty good!

021.jpg

022.jpg

also decided to switch up the rockwork a little, my clowns where being a little aggresive to the new additions, figured this will confuse em enough to let the others settle.

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

everything was a success! also swithced the internal filter for a HOB slim marina, it takes up less room in the tank

a few more things for tonight!

these should be more then enough for my little 6 gallon nano.

026.jpg

we have flow!! im alot happier now that theres alot more flow.

038-1.jpg

you cant really tell, but its a ton of flow..

034-1.jpg

029.jpg

theres all sorts of crud flying all over the place, caught my fish by surprise, they had no clue what was going on ha..

029.jpg