Help pick some fish

99taws6

Ok so I am wanting a new fish or 2 and would like your suggestions. I am currently setting up a 240 but right now my fish are small in a 75.

I currently have a 2.5" Niger Trigger, 3" Dragon Wrasse, 8" snowflake eel, softball sized LTA and 3 mollies (lol)

I want my tank to be aggressive but not dangerous to me. I also would like to have some corals. I will be fine without LPS or without SPS as long as I can have one or the other. I also know a clean up crew isnt really gonna be long lasting.

I was thinking of a Humu Humu trigger and possibly a puffer (stars and stripes, dogface or porcupine), maybe a pair of Gold Striped Maroon or True Percula Clowns, maybe a hawkfish (flame, arc eye or geometric), lionfish (even though I lost 3 separate in my 180 and nothing else ever died) and maybe some damsels?

What would you suggest? I want color as well as personality. I don't want anything like sharks or rays. Thanks

if you don't want to fear putting your hand in the tank then stay away from glodstripe clowns lol ;) not that they can kill you but they will sure try. I had to remove my 4in female and her hubby from my tank she killed several fish and would litteraly go from one end of the tank to the other to bite me when I had to do tank work. Not that it ever drew blood and was kind of funny it would make you jump every time you felt the thump from her tail slaping you or a bite.

I would look at adding 2 golden dwarf moray eels I just happen to have 2 I am toying with the idea of finding a new home.

Get a big school of chromis. I'd suggest the blue reef chromis vs the blue-green variety as they supposedly wont reduce their numbers down to 1 like the BG ones will.

They will swim around a lot, wont bother the other fish, are pretty, and may even make the others more comfortable.

I do like the idea of the flame hawkfish too.

I think SPS would be the best bet in that your current fish wont eat them, but I would suspect being big messy predators keeping your water clean enough will be difficult.

"You should put in two dwarf golden morays, because I have two that I am bored with and regret spending $400 on".

All chromis kill each other. The Atl blues just cost more. Although in a 240, and a large enough scool (12+), you could be successful with either (providing you don't still want a lion). A humu is meaner than you might think, I would go with a pinktail, bluejaw, or maybe a filefish of some kind. Any puffer will more than likely eat corals, although I would expect the dogface varieties to be worse. Leather corals of all kinds, although not particularly colorful, look great when thriving in a big tank and are the least likely corals to be bothered by fish. Also, they are typically easier to maintain in higher nutrient environments. Some other good fish: Any tangs, Any angels (again no problem if you keep leathers and anemones), parrotfish or other wrasses. Becuse the 240 is large enough, a piar of clowns or even a few colorful damsels won't become too territorial.

"You should put in two dwarf golden morays, because I have two that I am bored with and regret spending $400 on".

All chromis kill each other. The Atl blues just cost more. Although in a 240, and a large enough scool (12+), you could be successful with either (providing you don't still want a lion). A humu is meaner than you might think, I would go with a pinktail, bluejaw, or maybe a filefish of some kind. Any puffer will more than likely eat corals, although I would expect the dogface varieties to be worse. Leather corals of all kinds, although not particularly colorful, look great when thriving in a big tank and are the least likely corals to be bothered by fish. Also, they are typically easier to maintain in higher nutrient environments. Some other good fish: Any tangs, Any angels (again no problem if you keep leathers and anemones), parrotfish or other wrasses. Becuse the 240 is large enough, a piar of clowns or even a few colorful damsels won't become too territorial.

I keep hearing this about Chromis, but I've had my group of 3 in my 90g for over two years now and they get along fine. Am I just lucky?

In addition to the excellent suggestions above may I add a blonde Naso for the 240 and if you give them space a Sarcophyton Toadstool and/or Sinularia or Nepthia fingers would get huge in the 240 and you can go ahead and get them now.

The niger trigger would probably eat sps, the one I had did. Think very carefully about what you put in the tank, once you put them in a 240 it will be hard to get them out...especially little fish. Not a big fan of chromis myself. If you aren't going to have any other tangs I would get a yellow tang, plenty of color and not expensive. They are aggressive to other tangs with their same body shape, the worst IMO, so if you get one try to find a really small one. A hippo tang could live peacfully with a yellow and look nice.

Anthias are really cool, with a 240 you could keep them if you fed at least 2 times a day. Try lyretail they are the easiest, a male with 3-4 females would work. The way anthias work is either 1 or 4+, nothing in between or they fight too much. They will school together if you have any big fish, when they school they take up very little room in the tank.

Mystery wrasse are really nice and easy to keep, flame angels are awesome but mine picked on montipora so it had to go.

I keep of list marked "Wish List". If I see a fish somewhere (LFS, online, forums, etc.), I make a note and add it to the list. Not saying I would or can keep all of these fish, but I like to have it handy when I'm in the market for a new addition:

Majestic Angel

Blueface Angel

Flame Angel

Bellus Angel (female)

---

Achilles Tang

Black Spot Tang

Atlantic Blue Tang

Vlamingi Tang

Dussumieri Tang

Chevron Tang

Powder Blue Tang

---

Spotted Hawkfish

---

Firefish Goby

Purple Firefish Goby

Pinkbar Aurora Prawn Goby

Green Clown Goby

---

Reef-Safe Heniochus Butterfly

Pyramid Butterfly

---

Blue/Green Mandarin Goby

---

Rhomboid Wrasse

---

Tuka Anthias, aka Purple Queen Anthias or Yellowstriped Fairy Basslet

Squamipinnis Anthias - Male

Carberryi Anthias

Waitei Anthias

Lyretail Anthias

Ignitus Anthias

Bartlett's Anthias

----

Caribbean Blue Reef Chromis

Green Chromis

Black & White Chromis

Blackmouth Bicolor Chromis

Blue-Eyed Cardinal

pbnj, you should really add bimaculatus anthias to your list. They are a little expensive ($75 each) but insanley beautiful. The male and female look compeltely different and both are outstanding. My male died a month ago, I think of old age because of its size. I still have 2 females and will be replacing the male soon. They are good eaters and hardy, just a little expensive for anthias. Here are some pics of my male before he died and of one of the females.

post-1255-0-56169600-1324611448_thumb.jp

post-1255-0-23047300-1324611541_thumb.jp