Getting Water for Salt Tank..

Warlock

Hi, N00b question..

i know i need to use DI or RO water for my tank.. (no tank started yet.. research phase at moment)

my question is.. how is the water our of the dispensers at Grocery Store or those Windmill water by the gallon places? it says its RO water.. is that true?

just wondering..

You need to use RO/DI water.

You can use those stations, many do and have but I would invest in a RO/DI unit or use your LFS.

The problem with those stations is they forget to change filters or mark that they did when they didn't.

yes.. now that was what i thinking.. about the stations..

If a saltwater tank is something you feel commited to and plan on being involved in for some time, your own RO/DI unit will be invaluable. I had one installed when I bought my house in March for my own consumption. Once I decided to start a tank a month later, it made the purchase even better. Especially because I only have one LFS near me and I'm as lazy as it comes when it comes to leaving my house.

No, DI means de-ionized or something like that. Its an extra filtration process. Trust the others here, a good RO/DI unit is worth its weight in gold....and if your in an area like I am (RR) plan on changing your DI resin often. I have to about every 6 months. I bought a spectrapure unit, but the BRS ones are just as good and you can build your own kit. The more filtration the better. The GPD thing is kinda a preference. I only have a 40gpd unit but Ive got a smaller tank and I make my water 5g at a time so Im in no hurry.

Edited by DerrickH

+1 on the worth it's weight in gold part.

Higher upstart but lower costs down the line. Plus it saves your back and the frequent trips to pick up water, where more often than not you're tempted to buy more stuff!

Edited by JeeperTy

I live in an apartment as well. I have mine hooked up to my washing machine outlet using a "Y" splitter found at walmart in the garden section. The waste line just shoved in the washer drain hole in the wall. If you dont have washer and dryer hookups then you may be in trouble....Think there is a faucet adapter you could use.

I just hook mine up to the sink whenever I want to use it. I am sure there is an adapter made for it, but I just went to the plumbing aisle at HD and made my own out of a few parts, pretty simple to do. I stick the drain line in the sink drain.

I tapped one unit underneath my sink and left the nozzel under instead of mounting it, just hook the spout on the bottle and a rubber band over the "trigger" and away I go filling buckets.... Lucky for me where I work my boss has a huge tank so I just get water at work for free.

Oh and you'll also need something to store your new saltwater in too. Most recommend a Brute trashcan (from hardware store.) You'll need a pump and heater in there as well. SW needs to be constantly moved to stay fresh...and then the heater will get it to the same temp as your tank before you add it.

If a saltwater tank is something you feel commited to and plan on being involved in for some time, your own RO/DI unit will be invaluable. I had one installed when I bought my house in March for my own consumption. Once I decided to start a tank a month later, it made the purchase even better. Especially because I only have one LFS near me and I'm as lazy as it comes when it comes to leaving my house.

I thought di was bad for you to drink. I hope you have your drinking water coming out before it goes through the di resin.

I thought di was bad for you to drink. I hope you have your drinking water coming out before it goes through the di resin.

I've never heard that before. I've been doing it since March so I sure hope that's not true!