Biocube 29 W/custom sump in stand

(Bio)³

I know a guy who will get me the RKE at his cost so I'll go with it since its a better price, I'm sure one day I'll upgrade :)

A laser would be so much fun to kill pests with!! I'll let you know once it is up and running. I found that weldon 4 has 800 lbs of strength after 2 hours and 2000 after 24 hours. I did a test on my sump and found 1 leak so I drained it and applied more weldon to seal it up. I'll refill in the morning to test and if it holds water all day I'll start mixing some salt water up and go install my new RODI unit I

bought from Mr.stalwatertv.

I realized as I started aquascaping that I need to go find a nice piece of flat LR to make a little shelf/over hang in one of the corners about mid way up.

Why did you use egg crate on the bottom? Are you concerned about rocks shifting?

I was also wondering about the eggcrate....I'm tankless right (kind of, mine are still up and running but I am not there) so I have been one of those terrible silent followers;)

I chose to use eggcrate to give myself a foundation to build on and make clean up easier.... when i was a little boy my mom had 180+ gallons and recomended this to me for clean up. Also I don't have to worry about rocks shifting and breaking the bottom glass or even scratching it.

I am concerned about rocks shifting since I'l have a goby/shrimp pair in there and the little guy has chose to go everywhere.

Also I am clumsy and when I'm putting rocks in or shiffting them I don't want it dropping and hitting the glass bottom causing a leak when I am this close to completion, better safe than sorry!

I kind of want sand on the bottom but at the same time I dont, I like the look of the egg crate and it could be neat to let some coral grow over the whole bottom.

After getting the sump squared away I get to leak test the entire system!

Managed to make it not too loud and here I sit staring at an empty tank with tap water flowing through it. I'll drain the system soon and fill with salt water to start my fun!

I still need to get lights for the sump, mp10 and rke.

Filling the tankpost-2165-0-64380400-1327289002_thumb.jp

Lights at 100% blue 0% whitepost-2165-0-49140200-1327289006_thumb.jp

Lights at 100% blue 100% whitepost-2165-0-67186300-1327289009_thumb.jp

Lights at 0% blue 100% whitepost-2165-0-70530200-1327289012_thumb.jp

Lights at 20% blue 20% whitepost-2165-0-03544700-1327289016_thumb.jp

Once I load it with SW I'll go to my BC29 in the other room and take some rock out and start adding to the aquascape, seeding the tank in the process. Going to swipe a damsel from H.I's frag tank that he doesnt want anymore and use it to cycle the system.

After I see the tank cycle I'll start transfering everything over from the old tank and start buying up a few items in H.I's tank I've had my eye on and discussed with him.

Pretty sweet havin' a reefer boss.

So after leaving the system running for 2 hours i checked the sump and saw a tiny bit of water under it. I drianed the system and pulled the sump. I'm leaving it on the table over night full of water to see if it is leaking. I have papertowels under it to really magnify where the leak is so I can track it faster.

I don't think I have any leaks in the sump and I was just getting drops from splash coming out of the drain tube. To solve my issue I need to stop by home depot and grab 2 90 degree elbow barbs. One for coming in from the back and one going down intot he water to put the tube end underwater to avoid this splash.

I just need to figure out how I will do my mechanical filter. I originaly was going to use a sock but now I don't know if that will be easy to change or a pain in my ***.

Whole night left full to the very edge and no water leaked out, I'm 100% positive I saw the water that was splashing and it just took it a long time to reach the bottom of the sump. I'll fix it with the 90 degree barbs.

Got the system back up and running, everything is working perfect now.... no more splash issues.

While at lowes I grabbed the ffew parts I needed for my new (to me) RODI unit.

I'm sure many people will recognize this unit from MRsaltwatertank's episode on RODI units, it is a 75GPD 4 stage unit. Just dropped the new filters in and plumbed it up in the garage above the washing machine. I will use this to water the house plants, water for my tank, water for the dogs, water for people and water for my girlfriends birds.

Everything in the house that thrives on water will benefit from this new purchase. Thanks again Mr. Saltwatertank (if you ever read this)!post-2165-0-42659900-1327373348_thumb.jp

What part do you need? I just went to the garden hose section and bought a metal Y, then wentt to plumbing and bought a garden hose to 1/4 inch adapter, some 1/4" tubing, and a 1/4" ball valve with john gauset fitting. Few snips on the tubing and twists of the connectors and I was done. total price was ~20. I plumbed off the cold side and ran my drain line down the washer drain I might do what mr. saltwatertank suggest and run the drain out to the backyard/garden but for now it just drains out.

Did I read you had a biocube 29 left over? I need one so I can drill mine and swap it out. If you have one, I would give you mine after I drill. If not, well I guess I am looking for one. I had some problems after last nites storms.

I have 2 BC 29. One is running holding my shrimp/fish/LR and one is in the build. Once the tank cycles and the fish/shrimp/LR moves over I'll have this other 29BC free'd up. At that point I was going to list it for sale, if you still need it then I'm sure we can work something out.

Yes let me know. I need to drill one so I can swap it. I guess that's why you have 2. Also, you plan on dosing? Now that my sps are growing, water changes aren't keeping up. So I been doing brightwells a and b but that stuff goes quick.

Good job on your build so far. I just finished building my sump and used acrylic from home depot. Think it was $14 a sheet and I needed only 2 sheets since I was just building the dividers but bought 3 just in case. I used my dremel trio to cut them. Any thoughts yet on live stock? My vote is an engineer goby. I love that they look like an eel but are safe for other animals. For lighting I am going with melev's reefs recommendation which comes out to $15. http://www.melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html

Yes let me know. I need to drill one so I can swap it. I guess that's why you have 2. Also, you plan on dosing? Now that my sps are growing, water changes aren't keeping up. So I been doing brightwells a and b but that stuff goes quick.

I will figure out the dosing once I need to do it to the tank. I can always build a seperate stand to the side that will house/hide all of that stuff and make it look natural, this is assuming I run out of room in the stand smile.png Also, I'll add a few things into my ATO to keep up with needed elements.

Good job on your build so far. I just finished building my sump and used acrylic from home depot. Think it was $14 a sheet and I needed only 2 sheets since I was just building the dividers but bought 3 just in case. I used my dremel trio to cut them. Any thoughts yet on live stock? My vote is an engineer goby. I love that they look like an eel but are safe for other animals. For lighting I am going with melev's reefs recommendation which comes out to $15. http://www.melevsree.../fuge_bulb.html

I'm not sure what I'll stock it with yet, I do like the E goby's though so they are in my mind smile.png I got my plastic cut to size except one piece was off so I used a table saw to do the rough cut to size and then a dremel router setup to plane the edges smooth for gluing. I could have used just the saw but I wanted pretty clean edges smile.png

As far as my lighting goes I acutally ordered all the compenents to build an LED kit myself that will squeeze into the space I have.

Thanks! :)

Tonight I dumped salt into the sump and allowing it to slowly blend for the next few days. Once I match the SG of my other tank I'll pull a clean piece of rock out and start seeding the tank.

I was hypnotized by watching the waters mix. I had a pile of salt in the bottom fo the sumpp and above it was highly concentrated salt water, blowing across was ro water... the mixing action of ro with salt water is awesome to watch :)